Wireless DMX using two computers

weazel91

Here's what I am hoping to achieve.

I want to have a wireless laptop sending DMX data over artnet to another computer who receives it and then outputs it to a Velleman interface.

Laptop ---------> PC ----------------------------------------> Lights

(Art-Net) (Art-Net to DMX Velleman interface)

I know there are Art-Net to DMX products such as the ODE from Enttec, but, if possible I would rather do it this way if possible.

So here's the problem.. I cant find a program which will receive Art-Net data and output it to a Velleman interface. Is there one available or is there another way which I have overlooked to solve this problem?

Thanks,

Chris

:huh:

Ohh yeh! Now there's a solution. I shall have a try at it but it could be laggy if the show wasnt programmed as there would be alot more fading etc getting done. Im not sure how well a wireless network would cope with that. But thanks for that. I shall try :huh:

If you go down the ArtNet route, I'll continue to plug LLA, both the live and install versions. AFAIK nothing exists at the moment to output to a Velleman interface, but I imagine it should be possible to write a module for it to do so. Otherwise VVVV may be worth a look if that has a module for the Velleman.

Freestyler comes with a program to do artnet to USBDMX, and I know freestyler itself supports the Velleman interface. Never tried the artnet side of it, just had a play with freestyler itself before moving to MagicQ PC.

HTH

Dan

Could you run your lighting control software on the pc and operate it from the laptop using remote desktop / VNC / other similar software?

'Tis a good idea. What I will add tho is that I recommend using Microsoft remote desktop (type mstsc in the run menu). I have found this always to be much faster than VNC. Also, if you do find it a bit laggy on the remote screen refresh, turn the colour down. If you dont need full 16 million colours, 256 colours should make it realtime screen refresh speed, and make it show usable.

Lastly - (and for a bit of a gloat!), with microsoft remote deskop, you can create a VPN tunnel over the internet and connect to your remote desktop. You could then run your show over the internet, (which works using 3g usb sticks out in the middle of nowhere, etc) I have done it, and it was good fun- I was at the bottom of a mountain (well, a massive hill!) and we lit a castle at the top of the mountain. We had 2 laptops either end, 2 usb internet dongles and using VPN, a pearl expert, lots of clever IP address routing and an enttec open artnet thing at the lighting rig end, we sent artnet over the internet tunnel and I had full control of the lighting rig 2 miles away, with my pearl expert. Was good fun!

Hope this helps

Dunc

Haha!

Nice dunk, Sounds amazing! Would have loved to have seen that! And I shall try MS's Remote Desktop Connection when I get back to the school.

Danbutcher... I should have stated before but I'm using DMXControl which has an Art-Net plugin and I can send it too the PC and receive the signals but it just doesn't want to output to the Velleman interface.

Chris

Archived