Recording computer game, Fraps, etc. for theatrical use

kitlane

Whilst I agree we are not here to tell someone how to show off their 1ee7 skillz on a computer game I have used Fraps and similar software (and hardware solutions) for theatrical purposes.

For example, several years ago for the opening sequence of a production of Dracula I needed to create a video of Dracula rising from his crypt, running through his castle and flying to Whitby - all from Dracs POV. I considered running around a castle with a camera but it just wasn't practical. Instead, I 'built' Dracs castle in the level editor of "Return to Castle Wolfenstein" and recorded the output of me 'playing' the level live through a scan convertor onto a VCR. Low tech but did the job.

More recently I have used Fraps to record output from various applications to be incorporated into shows. Sometimes it's just a quick way of creating temporary footage; enough to give the director an idea of what you are doing without spending days modelling, rendering, filming or whatever.

if its a pc game, you could use something like Camtasia to record high quality "screen video" in AVI format, ready for editing and rendering to whichever format is required.I've used it to record online pool games via java apps...ensures in online leagues that nobody is cheating..but I've found it great to record demo's and add vo in edits if required.

Whilst I agree we are not here to tell someone how to show off their 1ee7 skillz on a computer game I have used Fraps and similar software (and hardware solutions) for theatrical purposes.

For example, several years ago for the opening sequence of a production of Dracula I needed to create a video of Dracula rising from his crypt, running through his castle and flying to Whitby - all from Dracs POV. I considered running around a castle with a camera but it just wasn't practical. Instead, I 'built' Dracs castle in the level editor of "Return to Castle Wolfenstein" and recorded the output of me 'playing' the level live through a scan convertor onto a VCR. Low tech but did the job.

More recently I have used Fraps to record output from various applications to be incorporated into shows. Sometimes it's just a quick way of creating temporary footage; enough to give the director an idea of what you are doing without spending days modelling, rendering, filming or whatever.

That's awesome. What are the copyright issues with using a computer game to generate footage for a show?

Archived