aux fed subs

misterbassman

normally I'd say DONT.

You'll find that the levals get completly mashed, and that you get a lot of frequency dropout.

The best way to do it is to either use a crossover, or the mono out on the desk. This way the level remains constant with the tops.

You'll find that the levals get completly mashed, and that you get a lot of frequency dropout.

The best way to do it is to either use a crossover, or the mono out on the desk. This way the level remains constant with the tops.

I'm not sure exactly where you are coming from here - even if the subs are aux fed they still need to go through a LPF, usually in the form of the system crossover/DSP. And the levels will be okay as long as you use post-fader sends and don't do too much mixing on the groups (this is another place where VCAs are very useful).

Aux fed subs tend to make things much less muddy when they are done properly.

What do you mean when you say "you'll get a lot of frequency dropout"?

Most of the time this is my preferred method. Follow the link below for a good explanation of the method.

Aux Fed Sub Article

Dominic, I am not sure your doing this correctly. The whole point of aux fed subs is to remove channels from the subs that do not need to be in there. You set the system up in exactly the same way, i.e. the subs/mid/highs are crossed over in the same place as a conventional system, however you have one mix for the subs and another for the rest of the spectrum.

Agree with Richard. I prefer to have seperate control of Sub levels and what is being sent to them...... little point in sending any or most of the vocal mix to the subs eh ?

I find it provides a much tighter, focused sound enabling one to select what you want to hear.

Thanks for all the responses everyone :D

They go along with what I ahve heard before, just wanted to hear peoples experiences and it looks good, so am def going to try it out on friday, and if all goes ok use it again on sunday.

thanks again

For me it depends on the situation. If its with a band/theatre show, then the system gets set with DSP/crossovers and thats that. If its a corporate thing, then (although very dependant on system and desk), I'd normally put subs on either an aux or matrix send just to give the system more head room in generally bad enviroments.

For me it depends on the situation. If its with a band/theatre show, then the system gets set with DSP/crossovers and thats that. If its a corporate thing, then (although very dependant on system and desk), I'd normally put subs on either an aux or matrix send just to give the system more head room in generally bad enviroments.

In my venue, school owned, I have to be able to revert to a conventional setup for pupil operated shows. Fortunately I have a DSP with three inputs, so I can switch from one setup to they other with a couple of button pushes.

Yes the Behringer is the one I have in that venue, I've not had it long but really like it. The ability to move the system back and forth between aux fed subs is such an improvement on my previous system of doing it, pulling out the amp rack, crawling into the back and re-patching!

Archived