Live video Mixing Products

Jambo_UK

Hi every1,

On my quest for information again and this time I'm looking into Live video mixing by this I mean mixing together two or even three live video feeds from cameras around a venue and outputting it on to a screen by a projector I have seem this done in a small venue by the use of a PC programme and a small slider desk have no idea on the name of the product all I know was that he had three cameras linked to the board and then also had a feed in from his laptop as well and then a cable from the board to the projector,

Sorry if this is vage but I know nothing about this type of effect :<

Thanks for the help

from

Jambo

there are quite a few pc based software switchers about, mostly designed for simple switching for security systems. you can use them live, but the lack of effects is the usual drawback, and I've not come accross anything that does even simple fades or mixes between sources. Real time processing of quality video signals takes bags of processing power - dv in particular is very difficult to play with in real time. I run Adobe premiere for non-linear editing and the effects take quite a while to render at dv quality. For simple I-mag and effects for live use, personally I'd go with a panasonic mx-50 - 4 composite or s-vhs ins, nice effects and no problem synchronising multiple sources. they are often on e-bay at quite good prices.

As usual, something that will be good, is also not cheap (or easy to 'bodge')

The MX50 was a great vision mixer, if you can find one cheap, then use it.

It all depends on how much you are willing to spend.

Just FYI, You could use a Magic Dave (Snell & Wilcox) and connect that to a PC and use thier Dave for Windows package to control it. However I much prefer the external system controllers.

Careful, that MX20 says it's inputs and outputs are NTSC, which is the american standard for video.

Anyone heard of that Camlink Vision 1000? I'd be interested in it as a little dedicated Chroma Key box so that I dont waste an entire MX50 just to chroma key.

Careful, that MX20 says it's inputs and outputs are NTSC, which is the american standard for video.

Thanks for spotting that,

Well - If you can find a PAL MX20 then that should do you, Apologies for pointing you at this one.

James

• 3 weeks later...

Ah vision mixers....

There is definitely a large gap in this particular market, there are some lovely 4 channel machines such as the MX50/70 (the new digital version) and the sony DFS but these cost in the region of £5000, panasonic did do a great range of "home" mixers in the WJ-AVE series, but they are no longer in production, they also did the MX10, 12 and 20 which are also fairly hard to get hold of, and weren't that well built.... There are usually plenty on ebay, but I would steer well clear.

But its not all doom and gloom, in vision central, one manufacturer is trying to build some good quality sensibly priced machines, Edirol, who make lots of Midi stuff I think, they released (about year and half ago) the V4 which is a 4 input vision mixer with a good strong T-Bar for wipes, a load of digital effects, all housed in a very robust case, and you can get these for £750 when they are in stock, they have now added a couple of more products to the range as well. I have specified a couple of these mixers in install's as I find they are fantastic value for money.

Digital village www.dv247.com sell the full range of the edirol mixers at the best price that I know.

Paul....

(wheres the spellcheck gone?)

my vote would have to lie quite firmly with the mx50. I've just finnished a week long gig with one, running four camera inputs and a pc/dvd feed. its a nice little desk to work with and fairly robust aswell.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived