buying new lights

jot100

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tom,

While I welcome your obvious interest in learning the wonderful world of lighting, I can't help but think the best way to learn is by your mistakes! :rolleyes:

Back in the dark ages (2000) I got a bit interested in how the lights worked in theatres and stuff so I approached the Theatre Manager at my school and blagged my way onto the Technicial Team. Which basically meant me and 4/5 others having alot of time playing, to be frank!

Obviously you've done this part, but all I can encourage you do now is to take advantage of your position and just play with all the kit you have. Don't be afraid to break the boundaries of what you already know works, but embrace the chance to learn how to do something better. I spent 2 wonderful years in the 6th form spending literally hundreds, and I mean hundreds of hours, playing with all sorts of kit we had lying around at school. We made some awful, awful mistakes, but at least we learnt from them and strived to make the next one a bit better. When we rigged a Patt774 up above stage and wondered why we weren't getting a particularly large spot (ah perhaps a Harmony 22/40 would be better?), we went out and find out why! Or 2 Parcans were giving out two different beam sizes, so again we opened them up and did the maths (hmm these lamps have got two different patterns on them! Anyone know why?!).

Thankfully we didn't kill anyone, or ourselves (but had a bit of a dodgy experience with a Patt828!) but we learnt a heck of a lot. Because pratical experience is the best kind you can get.

Now I'm sure you do spend alot of time doing what I've said above, but all I can advise you to do is to just learn how different bits of kit work, and what they do. We can only explain how it works, only you can see how it works.

Hope this helps!

Stu

PS. And now boys and girls, time to bring this thread back on topic! :(

Try to get yourself some time in your drama studio or theatre which you can use just to experiment with different types of lights.

I agree, of course, with what the pro LDs have been saying. But I'd also like to ask why you're so keen on top light? One way of getting over low height restrictions is often to use side light instead: i.e. to use 'pipe-end' lanters (at the very end of the bars) lighting across the stage rather than top lighting. This, when done with fresnels, can work very well for washes. Just make sure you're lighting the whole width evenly and are not over-emphasising the centre (an easy mistake to make with side light). I've always found that Minuette fresnels go really wide and are ideal for low grids.

As everyone says, have a play with new ideas and see what you like!

I've always found that Minuette fresnels go really wide and are ideal for low grids

amen to that... :D

the drama department really are getting annoyed with me nicking their minuette fresnels for really wide focus stuff... our stupid LDR fresnels either wont focus out enough (because of their design) or just wont focus out at all! and I have no idea how to fix it (anyone know)? I think they are 'tempo's or something - T18 4" fresnels?

I have just used 6 ADB F51's (Re-engineered Muniette Fresnels) for an outdoor production in a cloister type area (Lights in cloister 9 feet up at side, actors and audience in courtyard).

I was quite surprised to see the effect of them, even at 7:30 in the evening. In previous years, I have used much more power (4xSL or 4x 1.2k ADB Eurospot) from windows overlooking the courtyard - to less effect!

Regards

Ellis

our stupid LDR fresnels either wont focus out enough (because of their design) or just wont focus out at all! and I have no idea how to fix it (anyone know)?

When a lantern isn't focussing properly it usually means that either the bottom of the lens isn't attached to the runner properly, or the top of the lens is caught on something, or has just slipped to an angle instead of sitting vertically. Open up the unit, look inside and put everything straight again. If that doesn't fix it, then take the lens out altogether and lubricate the runner.

HTH

Archived