Begginer

Hi Andy

The role of an SM is something which varies widely - in the amateur world it can mean anything from set building and constructing, to attending rehearsals, recording blocking and calling the show. If you give us some more information about what scale the production is and what other members of the team you have then we may be able to help furthur.

For a summary of everything the Stage Management team are expected to do, together with lots of practical advice, can I recommend Gail Pallins "Stage Management: The Essential Handbook"*. Its a great bible for your reference and includes lots of templates at the back.

*The link goes to Amazon, where you can buy the book and help the Blue Room at the same time.

Well its a school production, and I ushall do lighting but for this show I am the LD and on the night I choose to do SM ushall the SM at our school.. organising props for the actors to go on with and ques them ready for when they are due on stage.. and to always make sure the stage is maintained.

And we also have a couple of ASM's to help organise props etc.

Andy,

So you are not actually calling the show??

One of the main parts of SMgmt. is communication, you are reponsible for communication show between dept's. During the tech whenever it is held you should appear on the stage to help sort out the problem.

Durring the dress (this is providing you are not calling the show) you will be required to wander (not in an idle way) checking all depts etc. etc.

You should also check things are set right onstage etc. etc.

Becuase you will be on the move a lot you wont really beable to be on cans (unless you have wirless ones which a school probably doesn't) so I would advise getting some PMR radios (they can be picked up cheaply from maplins) and giving one to the DSM (person who is calling the show) and keeping one yourself this way you will be accesbale where ever you are (even on your lunch break-** laughs out loud **)

Sam

Archived