Accountants for freelance riggers

racingsnake

Hi folks

I work as a freelance rigger and have decided it is time that I get my self a proper accountant. Can anyone recommend me one that is experienced with our type of work, that understands what we do and doesnt have huge fees.

Midlands based would be good

thanks

In fairness it's not that necessary for your accountant to understand your business. It's your job to present him with a coherent set of records and his to interpret those to your best advantage. Even our book-keeper only has a vague understanding of what we do to earn the cash. I think she's sick of seeing receipts for a tank of diesel and a bag of jelly babies. At 180 miles a tank that's a lot of jelly babies!

Depending on what you turn over the fees might seem astronomical by comparison. What do you consider a sensible cost? Also, what do you need them to do? If it's just the year end accounts then you'll get a decent deal from a lot of one man bands. If you want a fully serviced book keeping, VAT return, PAYE hand-holding service like the one we use then you might be after a totally different organisation.

Also I think this should probably be moved to "the office".

• 3 weeks later...
It's your job to present him with a coherent set of records and his to interpret those to your best advantage. Even our book-keeper only has a vague understanding of what we do to earn the cash. I think she's sick of seeing receipts for a tank of diesel and a bag of jelly babies. At 180 miles a tank that's a lot of jelly babies!

Sorry to go a little off topic, but were you at PLASA in Leeds last week? Either that, or I'm having a horrible case of de ja vu.

It's your job to present him with a coherent set of records and his to interpret those to your best advantage. Even our book-keeper only has a vague understanding of what we do to earn the cash. I think she's sick of seeing receipts for a tank of diesel and a bag of jelly babies. At 180 miles a tank that's a lot of jelly babies!

Sorry to go a little off topic, but were you at PLASA in Leeds last week? Either that, or I'm having a horrible case of de ja vu.

Nope, can't say I was. Did they have jelly babies?

Archived