CAT 5 cable

Rob

Having just read a post at "another" forum, how suitable is CAT 5 cable for installed audio applications? Is it ok as mic cable and can you use more than one set of cores to get two lines out of the same run?

For temporary 'bodging', you may get acceptable results sending audio down Cat5, but for installation in audio applications - it's really not the right answer. As for sending multiple audio feeds down different pairs in a bit of cat5 - yuck!! As for using it as mic cable - hmmm, lovely!!

Are you really that strapped for cash and would it really save any significant amount, given that most of the cost of installed cable is in pulling it in and terminating the ends?

Having just read a post at "another" forum, how suitable is CAT 5 cable for installed audio applications? Is it ok as mic cable and can you use more than one set of cores to get two lines out of the same run?  

I know of one Soho Post production house that use UTP for all data, AES and machine control aplications. - Terminated in Krone and on to bays. Very cheep and they have had no problems with it at all.

However I would be doubtful about using it for analouge due to the lack of properly balenced kit out there.

The problems are that being unflexable you have to terminate it in either a socket or some form of krone

the benefits are that if you are doing an instalation from scratch it would be a reasonably neat solution.

James

Rob, simple answer would be No. Cat5 is definatly not suitable for transmitting audio signals down.

Its fine for (as mentioned) AES, and control signals, and any data networking because it is designed to carry data signals.

It would not be suited to running analouge signals down.

What are you planning on installing? If its an installation for analouge audio lines (balanced or unbalanced) then you can use installation audio cable, which is similar if not better standard than musiflex type cables. Its alot thinner, for obvious reasons and last time we got a drum, I think it worked out about £25 ish for 100m... (I will check that up though)

If you want any more details then email me personally or mention it when im next in...

I read elsewhere that someone was using CAT 5 cable to run audio and video down. I was sure it was a very bad idea, but I thought I'd ask here and see what people thought out of interest. <_<

Rob,

There's no problem running audio down CAT5 with a few certain provisos. Let me explain...

First, think about what installation multipair cable is, construction-wise: a bunch of twisted pairs with an overall screen. So, CAT5 is certainly twisted pairs (very precisely twisted as it happens, in order to minimise crosstalk), but without the overall screen. This means that if you're planning to run your audio CAT5 right next to the dimmer racks/substation/lift motors, you might get clicks or buzzes.

Next, it's solid core (certainly the normal stuff that comes in a box is), so it ain't going to stand flexing and being coiled and uncoiled. Therefore it's for installation/one-off temporary use only.

Therefore if you want to run a few line-level tielines around a building, and they're not in interference-prone locations you could do it and probably get away with it. Personally I wouldn't on an installation because it doesn't cost that much more for multipair with an overall screen, and if a jobs worth doing etc. etc.

But, if you need a temporary solution, and have properly balanced ins and outs on your gear (most pro gear is nowadays) it will work fine.

Broadcasting house used to be chock full of what we called PSN40, 100 etc. - basically multicore telephone cable but with a screen. Miles of it ran between the MDF and studios, and you had tape machines, desk ins and outs, phone lines, red light signalling and goodness know what else, all down the same cables, with never a click or buzz anywhere.

Nowadays I run audio, video and power down CAT5 for Hotel systems. Through a whole box of CAT5 and you can barely tell the difference, even on video.

In summary it does work. Try it and see. Think of it as a kludge though.

Best regards,

Pete.

In a previous post on DMX cabling I said that I had used a CAT5 patch panel (and patch leads) for patching both audio and video. The signal is coming out of the VCRs & receivers on “proper†SCART cabling (vile stuff it is too!) and it is only the patch that is UTP (unscreened twisted pair).

I did an experiment with a 25m UTP cable wrapped around a couple of TVs, monitors and PCs and couldn’t generate easily detectable interference. No test kit used, just British Standard eyes & ears.

As Pete says it does work, but I’d much rather use the right stuff for long runs, and UTP is definitely NOT for flexible leads!

Don't know if this helps, but Cat5 cabling is sometimes used to do extended KVM (keyboard, video, mouse) runs in IT installations. It works well in this situation, but due to the construction of the cable (the way the pairs are twisted mean they are different lengths) it is limited to about 100m before synchronous video signals become unusable.

Archived