VGA to component

soundspider

Hey,

I hope I'm not rehashing an old question, but couldn't find it on the search.

Is it possible to plug a computer VGA output into the component input of an LCD TV (it doesn't have a VGA socket) just using a simple VGA to 3 phono lead (red, green, blue) or do I need a scan converter?

Thanks!

It says

Make sure this cable woks well, please check your laptops / desktops manual to make sure that your VGA card has TV output function capability through VGA.

Puts all the emphasis on your video card - so if your card can output the necessary signals using the VGA connector, all is well. If it can't, then it's not any use at all. The kind of cards sold that had TV tuners fitted had this kind of system. None of the common ones used in mainstream PCs now have this feature - and to be honest, most of the ones I came across that did, didn't have big screen size resolutions by today's standards.

What video card do you have and is it a laptop or 'tower'. Even a cheap gfx card has s-video out, you can convert that to single phono and scart. What other inputs does the tv have?

With more info I might be able to find a way of making your own cable from some scraps and a soldering iron. The easiest way though would be to get hold of a small tv with VGA input and use the scart as an output which you can then pick off the pins you need.

Guys, he's asking about Component (red, green, blue RCAs), not Composite (yellow RCA).

A VGA (or XGA,,etc) PC output will not be compatible with TV's with a straight Component input.

What needs to happen is scaling (resolution & refresh rate) as well as colour space conversion (RGB to Component).

The colour space conversion is not all that hard, but the scaling is what costs money is you want decent quality.

As I said, a small (15 inch tv/monitor) with scart output, from that scart you can make almost any cable you want. It would cost about £100 but would do the job.It has been tested over 50 feet over cat5 that you still get a decent picture from scart to RGB

One thing to remember is that "PC style" RGB is not what older TV's with an RGB input will accept. RGB by itself only defines the colour and sync signals, not the scan rate, etc.

Also, when talking about scart connectors, there's no guarantee what signals are even present on it. Some manufacturers only implement one or two out of the possible (Composite, S-Video, RGB, etc) options.

yeah many graphics cards have Component Outputs, even my laptop has a component output...

Component is normally not output via the HD15 (VGA) connector, but comes out on a 7 or 9 pin minidin connector (the same one that outputs the SVideo) your graphics card should of been supplied with the correct adaptor to go from the minidin to 3x phonos.

http://www.I-tech.com.au/Library/Image/Product/l_11CAB-TV-RGB.jpg

Hey,

I hope I'm not rehashing an old question, but couldn't find it on the search.

Is it possible to plug a computer VGA output into the component input of an LCD TV (it doesn't have a VGA socket) just using a simple VGA to 3 phono lead (red, green, blue) or do I need a scan converter?

Thanks!

The real answer is - it depends. The physical connector is not a foolproof indicator for what signal is actually being passed. The HD-15 connector can indeed carry both RGBHV and YPrPb (we make use of this on some of our scalers eg VP-724xl)

The OP does not make clear whether he is talking about the signal or the connector. If, as had been suggested, he is outputting an HDTV signal over an HD-15, then an adaptor cable is all that is required. However, if he is outputting VGA (an RGBHV signal) then the adaptor cable will not do. In this instance, the OP will need a scaler, and I am not aware of any simple RGBHV to YPrPb devices to do this. That does not mean that they don't exist - ...

Archived