Isle of Wight Festival

Nick LX

I might be there...but seeing as it's 15 minutes drive down the road from me, I might go to the other side of the river and listen.

Either that, or I'll be at the theatre...we're about 10-15 minutes walk away from the festival site (in Newport) and for the last few years, have had the bar open and the BBQ on :oops: (it's a cheap bar...and the food's good!)

• 2 weeks later...
I will be there, our theatre sits on the edge of the site providing back stage facilities for the Big Top. Last year we ended up painting the theatre stage during the afternoon, just flung open the doors and listened to the worlds biggest stereo playing in the field next door, then managed to blag some VIP passes for the rest of the festival, so good weekend all round.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

I am an enthusiastic 16 yr old who has a couple of years of lighting and sound experience and am a very fast learner. :nerd:

I'd love to help out/grab some work experience this year. Am aching to have a go with some movers if poss or just watch of course  B-)

Will do anything asked, well not quite ANYTHING  :P

The only problem is that my last AS exam is on the 11th so I am only available for the weekend and striking  :down:

This would be my first big gig. :D

So if anyone knows anyone or is someone who could help me then great!  :D :D

my email is: helgrind@hotmail.com - don't ask!  :huh:

Thanks,

Laurence Stant, Cowes

I too would be interested in helping out at the Isle of White Festival this year. - Seems like a large proportion of the younger forum members be up for it! :huh:

I'm a noise boy myself, and have some experience of the Yamaha LS9 and other medium format analog consoles, from both events in school and outside school.

I can't think of a better way to start my summer than to spend a few days surrounded in an environment of like minded people, on a large local(ish) festival.

I am, unfortunately, in the same position as cheechm, and have my final GCSE exam on the 11th, so would be unavailable for the setup. But available for the show itself and the strike.

My email is jamie.dot.mccallion1@gmail.dot.com

Cheers

Jamie McCallion.

Gentlemen... I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you look at any of the several other threads on the Blue Room about getting experience or working at big festivals, you'll see that it has been explained every time that it just doesn't work like that. The biggest audio and lighting companies in the country simply don't pick up youthful and inexperienced crew to work for them on the big festival shows. The crew working on these events will be their very best crew, employed or freelance, usually with many years experience of working at these extremely top-level, high pressure shows, which frequently have the world's best audio engineers and lighting designers working with the visiting bands.

Even if you take a reeeeeeeaaaalllly big run up and you are good at the high jump, you're still going to land near the bottom of the ladder.

The big festivals come when you've made more cups of tea, sweeped floors, recoiled cables, and done a few little shows, and then the small festivals.

Even people who are afraid of heights are ok on the first step.

Even if you take a reeeeeeeaaaalllly big run up and you are good at the high jump, you're still going to land near the bottom of the ladder.

The big festivals come when you've made more cups of tea, sweeped floors, recoiled cables, and done a few little shows, and then the small festivals.

Even people who are afraid of heights are ok on the first step.

The man's right you know, and you can never have enough cups of tea. Just been looking at the the line-up, and the 40 minutes changeover between any of those penultimate bands and headline acts on the main stage is no place for anybody who doesn't know exactly what they're doing. (Have you seen The Prodigy's warzone of a backdrop/festival lighting specials setup?) It's gonna be backdrop changing, truss moving, riser rolling, finely-controlled mayhem up there, not for the faint-hearted...

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f153/martindudley/prodge.jpg

The back end of The Prodigy at last year's V Festival...

twasn't particaularly the main stage as I know that's big gig stuff, but more so bandstand and big top.

What I'd like to have been able to do is tag along on the setting up and get some heights and equipment practice in.

Oh well, thats public exams for you, always at the wrong time!

If anyone does smaller gigs on the IOW and ever needs a hand or tea urns that need operators or is itching to give someone some experience then I'm your man!

Thanks again BR people,

Laurence

PS jmaudio Are you in an IOW school - in which case which school has an LS9? I could only think medina. As for my desk experience it's only been Allen and Heath analog desks eg GS3000 4000ML and thats outside school. Wish we had a bigger budget in school - Only Phonic's for us  :idea:

And on the offchance anyone has a spare old zero88 sirius compatible memory card...

Archived