Glazing Concrete floor

abbylouise_price

Recently painted an indoor concrete floor with a mural for a tourist attraction. We based it with floor paint, painted with Albany paints and then sealed with Mega glaze matt. This hasn't stood up to the attractions heavy foot traffic but am not sure how to fix it - can we touch up where the paint has worn off and then re-coat with another glaze, or will we need to start again? I have had a quick search for concrete floor glazes but they all seem to be American brands/gloss finish/have extensive drying times. We need it to be ready for heavy foot traffic in 12 hours.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Abby

Recently painted an indoor concrete floor with a mural for a tourist attraction. We based it with floor paint, painted with Albany paints and then sealed with Mega glaze matt. This hasn't stood up to the attractions heavy foot traffic but am not sure how to fix it - can we touch up where the paint has worn off and then re-coat with another glaze, or will we need to start again? I have had a quick search for concrete floor glazes but they all seem to be American brands/gloss finish/have extensive drying times. We need it to be ready for heavy foot traffic in 12 hours.

Abby

Sounds to me as if your painted layer isn't really bonding with the floorpaint - not surprising if the floorpaint is oilbased & the mural isn't.... If I'm right, it won't matter what you put over the top, there is a problem lower down that will always be with you. But I've never heard of Albany paints so I may be making false assumptions there! Apologies if so.

When I'm stuck with a glaze dilemma, I usually phone Flints & ask them to recommend something!! There are loads of glazes & varnishes out there; Flints stock most of them & are generally pretty good with technical advice (depends who you speak to of course, but if you push they can usually rustle up someone who knows what they're talking about) and then they can usually send stuff overnight. Too late for you now probably, but you never know.... hope it has a happy conclusion anyway!

• 2 weeks later...

Abby

Sounds to me as if your painted layer isn't really bonding with the floorpaint - not surprising if the floorpaint is oilbased & the mural isn't.... If I'm right, it won't matter what you put over the top, there is a problem lower down that will always be with you. But I've never heard of Albany paints so I may be making false assumptions there! Apologies if so.

When I'm stuck with a glaze dilemma, I usually phone Flints & ask them to recommend something!! There are loads of glazes & varnishes out there; Flints stock most of them & are generally pretty good with technical advice (depends who you speak to of course, but if you push they can usually rustle up someone who knows what they're talking about) and then they can usually send stuff overnight. Too late for you now probably, but you never know.... hope it has a happy conclusion anyway!

Agreed. If you have time, look for a good marine varnish. If you can't you may have to re-do your mural to allow for drying-hope it works out.

Archived