Patch Bay advice

Hot Water

Hi,

I run the sound for my wife's band and require some advice on how to wire a patchbay.

I have a Mackie CFX16 desk and a rack containing a Drawmer DS201 gate, a Behringer Multigate, Behringher FBQ 1502 graphic and a Behringer Virtualiser Pro effects unit. I am slowly replacing all of the Behringer gear and will be shortly adding a compressor. Speakers are SRM 450's and 1501's and the monitors are 3 SRM 350's. Band consists of female lead vocalist, electric guitar and vocals, drums and vocals and bass. Type of music is very varied from rock to pop anything in between party type stuff.

I would like to put a patch bay in the rack so all of the above is permanetly connected and then just connect the desk to the patchbay to speed up the setting up time.

My question is how? Do the splitter leads for the gates go into the one channel on the back of the patchbay and then do I use a normal patch cables on the front of the patchbay to the desk?

For the other units do I use one channel for the left and right inputs and outputs?

This sounds probably basic stuff to everybody else but I'm struggling to get my head round it. I've taught my self most of it by trial and error and sitting with other engineers.

Thanks in anticipation,

Martin

Instead of patch bay and considering I'm guessing it changes very rarely, why not just use multi-pin, so then you just connect 1 (or 2) connector(s) and they're linked.

Thanks for that.

Any advice on how I go about it or where I can purchase the leads from?

Thanks again.

Do you want to make them yourself?

Have a browse on the Blue Room for the various options but in summary: low budget = EDAC, mid budget = Harting, high budget = mil-spec (Veam, VDM, RMP, LK etc). You won't be looking for touring grade stuff I assume so EDACs will most likely be fine. They're a piece of cake to put together if you're ok using basic electrical tools but they're not the most robust of connectors so look after them.

I believe CPC do EDACs but you'll find all the major companies doing a compatible version - CPC, RS, VDC, Studiospares and so on.

Stick with conventional wiring so you can integrate pre-made looms if you ever need a spare. They're all shown here: Link

Do you want to make them yourself?

Have a browse on the Blue Room for the various options but in summary: low budget = EDAC, mid budget = Harting, high budget = mil-spec (Veam, VDM, RMP, LK etc). You won't be looking for touring grade stuff I assume so EDACs will most likely be fine. They're a piece of cake to put together if you're ok using basic electrical tools but they're not the most robust of connectors so look after them.

I believe CPC do EDACs but you'll find all the major companies doing a compatible version - CPC, RS, VDC, Studiospares and so on.

Stick with conventional wiring so you can integrate pre-made looms if you ever need a spare. They're all shown here: Link

Thanks for that David, very helpful.

Archived