which weighting A,C or FLAT

ian hatch

Set the gain on the mic as per normal (0db) main LR faders say -10db then just push the mic channel up until it's right on the limit before feedback, then adjust one at a time the 31 EQ faders, boost each one if no feedback set back to the middle or if feedback occurs say +5 on the fader then you set the fader to -5 and so on.

OK up to the last bit, if that's the method you want to use.

Say you wanted to have 6dB headroom before feedback, then the slider that feeds at +5 needs to go to -1, & the one that feeds at +3 get set at -3. If you get to +6 or better then leave that one flat, don't boost anything.

I tend to push the mic channel until I just get feedback, then pull right slider on the graphic just enough to to get rid of it. Then do it again & again until I'm happy. The trick here is knowing where to stop, which (assuming it's a vocal mic) is best done by talking/shouting/singing through it

Thanks mark for the reply.

Is the 6db the best margin for headroom, also do you still go through all 31 EQ faders or stop once you've found the first one that stops the feedback?

Do you start with the 20Hz fader and move up or start at another point.

Is the 6db the best margin for headroom.......

6 dB is just what I plucked out of the air. It's all a compromise between how "safe" you want the system to be & how hard you're going to need to push it. This will change, depending on the show/room/equipment/artist. If the person on the desk is able to hear properly (and is not doing the crossword :rolleyes: ) then a smaller number may be fine.

.....also do you still go through all 31 EQ faders or stop once you've found the first one that stops the feedback?

Do you start with the 20Hz fader and move up or start at another point.

You want to find the first <number> of most sensitive frequencies, which is why I suggested the second way of doing it. Starting at 20 Hz & working up, you would find the bass problems first, but there maybe something much worse up at 1.2 kHz for instance. If you're dropping most of the faders on the graphic then you've probably gone a bit to far, dropping 4 to 6 is usually where I try to stop, but as I said, depends on so many other things.

Find yourself time & space to practice & play.

Archived