Shure U1 radio mic from Germany

Shez

An interesting one for anyone with any experience of touring to Germany...

I'm doing sound for a show this weekend; I've just been told that one of the artistes who's flying in from Germany is bringing her own radio mic (Shure U1 tx with UP4 rx) with a specific headset that she needs and that she normally uses 804.800MHz. The venue has it's own licence for channel 69 frequencies but I'm trying to find out whether the German U1 can tune up that high... Shure's German site suggests they're available between 692 and 862Mhz, but I assume that's not all in the same unit. Contact with the artist has been very sporadic - it's taken several weeks just to get this limited info so, along with the language barrier, I'm not convinced we'll be able to get sufficient technical info from her before she actually arrives in the country.

Has anyone had any experience of German Shure systems and what they're normally capable of?

Thanks!

The easiest thing to do is probably just to book that frequency. If memory serves, it should be about £17. Or hire a UK radio system for the weekend.

If you do want to know what the receiver can do, you will need to find out which band the unit is set for, as with Shure there are sometimes multiple different ones for each country, rather than just one for "Germany". It is possibly MA, which is 782-810 or MB, which is 800-830.

The easiest thing to do is probably just to book that frequency. If memory serves, it should be about £17.

Just been looking at JFMG to see whether that's feasible - seems that ch.62 isn't available at the location in question. Looks like a licence would only be £8.50 though which is entirely reasonable.

• 2 weeks later...

An update on how things went, in case anyone was wondering...

I rang Shure to try to determine which range the kit could operate on; spoke with Tom, one of their applications engineers, who was really helpful and continued to help via email. Via the artiste, I discovered their kit worked in the MB band (Thanks Chappie), between 800 - 830MHz, channels 62 - 65.

Channel 62 wasn't available in the area (JFMG have a useful checker on their website) so I booked one frequency for the day in ch.63, for the princely sum of £8.50.

Persuading the artiste that they couldn't use their kit on 804.8 was the most difficult part of the whole operation - they were convinced that it was available for use right across Europe...

Thumbs up to Shure and JFMG for making the process pretty painless.

I thought the minimum charge was £28 per schedule?

I got that impression too. It might be that way if you do it via paper (to cover staff costs etc.) but online, it was only 8.50.

It would be good if more people took advantage of this service - so easy and cheap, there's no excuse for working unlicensed. (Not that there ever has been, but the more people demonstrate the need for bandwidth at the moment, the better.)

Archived