rigging for drying out tents

dredr1234

Hi there I need some help!

im trying to make a system to dry my large tents!

what I need to do is lift 5 or 6 different ropes from one point using a system of pullings and ropes!

its in a barn so ive got 2 points to anchor from the roof but struggling to design the lifting system from one manual winch!

please try help?

I think you're going to have to be a little more specific before anyone can make any helpful suggestions.

First the obvious: Do you know (I mean know) your points are up to the task. What are they? Are you in a position to install more?

Are you looking to procure a manual winch, or use one that you already have.

And if the latter, see above - are you sure its up to the job?

As for pulling several ropes with a single winch, you have three main options:

a) a winch that pulls several ropes (eg: a 'pile wind' winch designed for a flying bar on several lines) and divert lines as necessary.

b) bringing your lines together to a clew plate, which in turn is pulled on a single line by the winch.

c) bringing your ropes together to a single point or bar immediately above the load, which in turn is lifted on a single line (or 2).

hth

Moderation: We're a little confused in modland - this might be something to do with typical Blue Room activity, but we can't think of any topics before that have covered the drying out of tents? They could of course be tents used as performance venues - maybe?

For the moment, we'll sit back and see what develops

Use of a winch or lifting equipment should be avoided if possible, since in a place of employment it will probably require some form of formal testing or inspection, which adds to costs and to paperwork.

Like wise, imposing any additional load on the roof supports may require an engineers report as to the suitability of the structure, the fixings will probably require formal testing and marking as to safe working load, again expense and paperwork.

If at all possible I would erect the tent as intended, but inside the barn in order to dry it, or of course outdoors in suitable weather.

Alternativly, consider building a frame of timber or scaffolding over which the tent material can be drapped in order to dry it.

If the enquiry relates to a small domestic camping type tent, then consider the use of a tumble dryer on low heat only, taking great care not cause damage by overheating.

Moderation: ... but we can't think of any topics before that have covered the drying out of tents? They could of course be tents used as performance venues - maybe?

That's good isn't it? We get bored of the same old stuff over and over again. ;)

The OP's profile says he works for a company called 'Intent Productions' - I was curious too, so I tried a 2-second Google: clicky

Moderation: We're a little confused in modland - this might be something to do with typical Blue Room activity,

I've worked with this guy if this helps so it certainly crosses over into our area in a way - great tents!

Archived