Popshield / Grills for SM58 & Beta58

pattonaudio

Am I missing something here or is it a money making scheme?

Just wondering if any one can shed some light on this or was the guy in the shop full of it, I was told that I could not use a SM58 grill on a Beta58 because the Beta58's shaped the colour of it and is part of the pickup pattern for the mic etc.

I mean I was just thinking of buying a SM58 or clone grill at a few pound normally £5 but the beta58 is £55 why is there such a hugh difference!

Yes the grill shape has a large effect on the sound and frequency response of the microphone.

Buying an SM58 and using a cheap replacement grill from bargain Bob's defeats the point of buying the SM58!

The SM58 & SM57 use exactly the same capsule module, the differences between the microphones is caused by the grill. The sm57 has an perceived increase in LF response due to proximity effect and the placement of the grill.

As for the Beta 58, different capsule and different grill.

Use a SM58 grill on a Beta 58....well there is a different microphone again!

Poppadom

I'm not so convinced. The B58 and SM 58 grille are shaped the same and probably use exactly the same foam. The difference is that the B58 one is actually made out of metal that doesn't dent so easily. I would possibly dare to suggest it's not worth the £55. The reason that a 58 and 57 sound different involve the way the grille keeps the vocalist further away from the capsule, and also the HF rolloff from having a load of foam. So there's nothing in it between the two (apart from a blue rubber band).

M

I'm not so convinced. The B58 and SM 58 grille are shaped the same and probably use exactly the same foam. The difference is that the B58 one is actually made out of metal that doesn't dent so easily. I would possibly dare to suggest it's not worth the £55. The reason that a 58 and 57 sound different involve the way the grille keeps the vocalist further away from the capsule, and also the HF rolloff from having a load of foam. So there's nothing in it between the two (apart from a blue rubber band).

M

Thats my thinking that they are all the same size, shape, cc (volume) and same desisity of foam used on both I may just experiment with the 2 grilles on the B58 and vice versa. to see if there is an audiable difference.

Yes the grill shape has a large effect on the sound and frequency response of the microphone.

Buying an SM58 and using a cheap replacement grill from bargain Bob's defeats the point of buying the SM58!

The SM58 & SM57 use exactly the same capsule module, the differences between the microphones is caused by the grill. The sm57 has an perceived increase in LF response due to proximity effect and the placement of the grill.

As for the Beta 58, different capsule and different grill.

Use a SM58 grill on a Beta 58....well there is a different microphone again!

Poppadom

Sorry Dom but you're wrong on all counts there, to lay the old myth to rest once again 57s and 58s DO NOT share the same capsule that is the official opinion from Shure. The grille itself has no effect on the pickup pattern or frequency response unless it blocks the ports that give the mic its polar pattern or the distance from the end of the grille to the capsule changes which can alter the amount of proximity effect.To give you an example of this you can swap a Beta57a grille for a Beta58a grille and it changes nothing about the sound of the mic. Beta58 and SM58 grilles are totally interchangeable and make no difference to the sound at all the difference in the 2 is that the Beta grille is made from hardened steel and is more difficult to destroy.

Charlie

At the risk of imitating an old breath mint ad....

Schtop! You're both right!

I can remember the days when the capsule for the SM57 and SM58 were the same part number in the Shure catalogue, hence identical.

However, something like ten years ago, this was changed and they became slightly different parts. Exactly what the change was, I don't know but I'm sure (shure?) this is where the "identical capsule" story started from. They used to be.

As for the grills, I don't personally know. I don't own any of the Beta range of mics. However, if Shure say they are different they may well be. Very minor changes in the design can result in major changes to the pick up pattern.

Bob

I own two sm58's and a beta58.

One of the sm58's has a budget grille on bought from ebay for about £5, and I can tell you it sounds identical to the one with the Shure grille.

Proximity effect with an sm58?

Yes, on your face, that's it! <_<

Just out of personal interest I changed the beta grille for the cheapo, and guess what?.. no difference there either.

I own two sm58's and a beta58.

One of the sm58's has a budget grille on bought from ebay for about £5, and I can tell you it sounds identical to the one with the Shure grille.

Proximity effect with an sm58?

Yes, on your face, that's it! <_<

Just out of personal interest I changed the beta grille for the cheapo, and guess what?.. no difference there either.

Just as I thought guys thank you!

So how can and extra £50 be justified for tuffened metal, I could justiy it if it was gold.

Archived