advice on x over

bigted

hi,

I have 2 f12 + tops 2 s15+ martins

dynacord pm driving tops and thinking of crown xti 4000 driving subs

I am looking at three options, a dbx driverack 260, ev ac-one the reason im looking at this is because I had one before and kind of used to it, or should I use the "recomended" m3 + controller

like the idea of the dbx or is this just to complicated to use for small venues and pub gigs

any recomendations or advise appreciated not tied to a budget thanks

what about the internal xover in crown amp ???

Hi bigted.

as per Rob Beech before with the crown xti you don't have to have a lms or crossover, I'm sure rob will be along shortly.

page 22 of the manual.

linky

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

Hehe sorry I didn't see your edit when I posted!

Does that powered desk have a crossover in it so yu can send mid top to the power amplifier within?

If so you're laughing. Just run those for mid tops and then the line out to the amp for the subs.

Now, if the line out is a bass/sub output then you don't really need to use the onboard DSP in the amp, which in essence means maybe it's overkill for an amp with onboard DSP. If it's just a full range output then the amps dsp will come in very handy. Set up a preset on a computer with USB and hey presto it's done.

If you would like help with system architect then feel free to pm me. If you want, and I have a spare 10 minutes I could knock you up a preset but it's fairly straight forward.

Rob

Does that powered desk have a crossover in it so yu can send mid top to the power amplifier within?

Rob

Ah, there the problem.

There is no built in crossover.

The way I do it is use the crossover in the ax2500.(or pv2600)

Sound source into the mixer-main outs into amp-mid/hi outs into inserts on mixer-tops connected to mixer/amp.

Crossover on amp set so it sends LF only to connected cabs.

Can the Crown amp not be set for mid/high on one channel and low on the other using the built in DSP?

Full range signal out of the desk's line outs into Subwoofer amp.

Amp for Subs has a Hi-Pass line out which is fed into the desks main inserts which are post line out.

This signal is then amplified by the Desks in built amps and sent to the Tops.

Josh

In which case, the OP could either get a LMS/Crossover or a second XTI to run the system in Stereo or use the 1 XTI in mono and not use the Amps in the desk.

If you decide to go for the LMS, the Behringer DCX 2496 is good for the money or the Drive Rack 260. If you search on here you will see why we haven't recommended the Drive Rack PA.

Josh

Ok.

There is however no high pass output on the XTI. The in and out are just in shunt.

Just a quick Q Rob as you own the XTi series as well - do you know the latancy for the DSP? I assume there must be a few ms on it - I'm wondering if I turn it on it will confuse my Nexo controller.

Chaz,

Nexo dont advise using any built in dsp with their digital controllers don't know about the tdm ones though probs better to be safe than sorry and not use it.

Charlie

Cheers Charlie, I guess the analogue controllers also won't like the latancy issues which the DSP would introduce, although I do hope that the latancy isn't always there with the XTis even with the DSP supposedly 'off'!

If so you're laughing. Just run those for mid tops and then the line out to the amp for the subs.

Now, if the line out is a bass/sub output then you don't really need to use the onboard DSP in the amp, which in essence means maybe it's overkill for an amp with onboard DSP. If it's just a full range output then the amps dsp will come in very handy. Set up a preset on a computer with USB and hey presto it's done.

If you would like help with system architect then feel free to pm me. If you want, and I have a spare 10 minutes I could knock you up a preset but it's fairly straight forward.

Rob

would I be better with 2 cti amps and dry desk and use the internal xover ??

Rob

would I be better with 2 cti amps and dry desk and use the internal xover ??

CTI amps I believe are for install, you would be better off with some XLS series if you are trying to afford two amplifiers for the price of one XTi.

Archived