Morning light gel??

Noise Boy Sam

More info please!

Are you talking about the light coming through the window from a sunrise? (pinks purples etc)

Are you talking about being lighting an indoor scene?

Are you talking about a nice sunny day or a horrible overcast day?

More you can tell us the better the response will be :D

AndyJones

Get out of your pit at an appropriate time of the morning, open the curtains, and look at the qualities of the daylight that you see! Then think about how you might recreate that sort of atmosphere on a stage.

Out of Lee gels what colour do you reckon is a good gel for Morning light? used in a fresnel

Short answer - Lee 147 (Apricot) is very useful for delightful summer mornings.

More information really is needed: are you backlighting a window or doing a general cover?

Keep in touch with the rehearsal DSM, or if there isn't one then the set designer and director, and make sure you know what time of year it is supposed to be.

Never, ever, take things written in 'Acting Editions' or indeed any stage directions on trust.

Good luck.

I did "Gone with the wind" once and my research on exact sun / moon behaviour was to get up and take pictures every 10 minutes because the quality and tone of light from a sunrise changes very quickly. I also set a video camera up on time lapse to record the movement of the shadows.

All of this was then taken back to the drawing board and lights rigged in appropriate places to achieve the result. I also found that for more realistic "light through the windows" type stuff my sunrise started only with fresnels but then as time of day got greater I added parcans for stronger light.

Ive yet to try and find a better more cost effective way of doing "naturalistic light through the windows / french doors etc" -as u can end up with a big rig just doing that and nothing else!!! Ive tried using CYM washlights but found that you end up getting unwanted hues during a particually slow crossfade.

A better way I found was surprisngly using scrollers - so long as you had custom scrolls made up of course , and slow, slow scroll changes across a few frames of colour starting of deep amber / red going through to light rose worked well.

Archived