Council-run venue's

Teflon

hi folks, it's been a while since I've used this site but I thought I'd post up a message..

is there anybody here who works in a council run venue? I'd be interested to hear from people regarding local pay review's

pm me if necessary.. thanks

I thought the LGA payscales would apply to most Council owned/managed venues in England/Wales?

2.75% has just finally been awarded for financial year 08/09. The final 0.3% of that increase is being paid next month (yes, a year late).

Then negotiations start on the 09/10 pay review.... note that it is due (assuming there is any increase) in April. Fat chance of that. Will be another 12 months delay again.

Much like Rooftop we get the last 0.3% of the agreed pay award with LGA next month. - woohoo for the bumper pay packet that'll bring! (*cough, sarcasm, cough*)

We're also undergoing a full pay review too. This means every job within the council is being reviewed in terms of value, and also relative value against other jobs within the council. The intention is to make sure that every post within the council fits the council wide payscale. We wait with baited breath now to see if we are all worth more or less than we get paid currently!

Teflon, what exactly about pay reviews do you want to know?

neild - other neighbouring authorities to ours are reporting that the "arts" in general are coming out of job evaluation favourably. From FOH/Bar staff who are no longer on the bottom SCP4 through to venue managers who are being sensibly rewarded for the mammouth task of juggling all the balls required in keeping a busy venue ticking over.

What these pay increases will mean in the longer term however is not clear, as the days of above inflation settlements for local authorities are over for foreseeable future.

How far along the process are you?

We have finished the data collection and comparison phase, and are due to hear the results over the forthcoming months. Our department only moved away from a BECTU based 18 months ago, so are still relatively new to the standard council pay scale anyway. Interestingly though, the structure within our department would make it very difficult for pay to go down. - Our most junior staff are on the bottom grade, and we step up from there job by job.

I'd actually lose out if we went up a grade, as the scale above me doesn't doesn't pay overtime. The jump in basic would equate to less than I currently earn with regular overtime. - That said, if the economic downturn continues, maybe a better basic would be a safer place to be!

It'll be very interesting to see what pay increase is finally offered this year!

How far along the process are you?

They're still collecting data from the odd place here and there. At least another year I was told last week. Those who are awarded increases will be well chuffed as any increase is backdated to April 2007 (in Wales anyway, not sure about England). Three years back pay? Yes please!

Archived