French radio on long mic cables

Louis sullivan NLS

It's worth checking that the screen in the mic cable (the bare copper braid thingy) is connected to pin 1 of your XLRs at both ends of the cable. It's an easy mistake to make when you are soldering cables up, but the problem can creep in even with pre-made cables.

Radio interference into a system can take some pretty meticulous detective work to track down. Since you mention the problem happens with a particular (long) XLR cable, the first thing I'd look at is probably a check of the screen connection at both ends of that cable.

However, if there's no obvious fault there, then you need to do some step by step diagnosis.

THIS PREVIOUS THREAD is probably a worthwhile read...and I commend to you the Tony Waldron link I posted back in that one.

Bob

PROBABLY a Pin 1 problem with your mixing desk (see the Tony Waldron article linked to in the thread I referred you to above) coupled with a strong signal beaming in from France. However, as you'll see if you read that thread, there's no quick diagnosis or fix...you'll have to eliminate causes one step at a time.

Bob

Archived