which DMX controler to choose???

jimmshell

Hi mates,

I already have got some light equi.

- martin minimac moving headz x2

- LASER 350mW RGY Multicolour Laser DMX

- Firscracker 1500 strobe DMX

And in the future I maight need 2 or 3 ights more (also DMX controlled).

I wonder which DMX controler should I choose.

Any clues pleas let me know.

my price range 120pounds

Kind Regards

Jim

Welcome to the Blue Room.

Please note, we are more likely to reply to posts written in correct English. Apologies if English isn't your native language, please fill out the location in your profile so that we know this.

For £120, there aren't many options. How much control do you need? If it is a set is and leave job, £120 might be OK. If you need more control than this, you will likely need more than this.

Josh

Hi Jim and welcome,

It would be helpful if you let us know for what application?

However, for that sort of budget I'd recommend a Chamsys Magic Q PC set-up. Providing you can get your hands on a laptop/desktop computer all you need to buy is a USB to DMX dongle from Enttec which is £117.

ENTTEC DMX USB PRO

Chamsys Magic Q PC

I've used the PC based setup for a variety of applications from theatre cue stacking to VJ'ing. But it all comes down whether you want a physical lighting controller?

Adam.

From your list I'm presuming you're looking at a mobile DJ type rig.

Would second the USB dongle and PC route, with something like MagicQ, Freestyler, or one of the other free DMX software packages.

Program it up with some set effects on buttons and you're rocking. Means that you can expand as large as you are ever likely to for this application.

If you are not wanting mobile DJ rig then post with your application and we may be able to be more specific.

thanks for Your all responses,

type of application the equipment will be used is MOBILE DJ,

I already have 2 laptops running

1st is responsible for sound and acoustic

2nd video projector,

im not too sure I wont bring the third one on the board (if necessary, then will do) but if there is a chance to get hardware controller that oftion would be preferd more.

I will be the only person operating everythin so I dont want to get any more detailed then I need, (sometimes would be better if lights could run by itself or preprogrammed patterns).

once again, thanks a lot for your attention.

regards

jim

We really have no idea what channels you require... however if you're looking to control those moving lights you'd be lucky to get a controller for around £120, perhaps if you increased your budget a little you may be able to get a Zero 88 Diablo (retail used around £200) this can control 18 generic channels e.g Parcans via a dimmer, but can also control 18 fixtures these include your Martin lights. The other route is the PC based option however I have not used such system and would recommend you take a search for "USB DMX Software" in the Google search box.

Good luck,

Chris

Chamsys Magic Q PC can be programmed and minimized and not be too demanding on system resources so maybe you could use your second laptop to run your rig as well as projection?

As for a physical desk under £120 I haven't got any ideas. Maybe a second hand Q Commander? But I think even one of them would go over your budget.

Maybe somebody else might be able to suggest a physical desk in that price range?

Adam.

Hi Jim and welcome,

It would be helpful if you let us know for what application?

However, for that sort of budget I'd recommend a Chamsys Magic Q PC set-up. Providing you can get your hands on a laptop/desktop computer all you need to buy is a USB to DMX dongle from Enttec which is £117.

ENTTEC DMX USB PRO

Chamsys Magic Q PC

I've used the PC based setup for a variety of applications from theatre cue stacking to VJ'ing. But it all comes down whether you want a physical lighting controller?

Adam.

RE: Chamsys Magic Q PC,

Considering that, do I have to buy one for each light? or how many lights

Regards

jim

No just the one. This will give you 512 control channels (One universe) to run all of your lights from which is more than enough for a mobile DJ application. Simply connect the dongle to your PC via a USB port and then daisy chain all of your fixtures together and then terminate at the last fixture. DMX Signal Termination.

I'm guessing that all of your lighting fixtures are 3 pin? If so you will need a 5 to 3 pin adapter to use the dongle with your 3 pin equipment.

Hope this helps,

Adam.

Archived