How to balance mixer output

gingerben

Hi,

I have spirit folio mixer that I plan on running stage mics through and using as a monitor mixer for the band for a musical. I want to pass the mic feeds to the front of house desk I plan on using the insert point on each channel with the ring and tip of the jack shorted together turning it into a direct output rather than an insert.

The thing is there is a fair old distance between the monitor mixer and the FoH one and so I want to turn the output of the insert points into a balanced signal before I connect them to the stage box that feeds into the FoH system. So my question is, what's the best way of doing this? Is it simply a case of running each channel through a DI box? Any advice (and the cheapest possible solution) much appreciated.

Hi Ben

Why don't you just just a simple splitter lead on each input?

MXLR in desk, FXLR to plug mic into, MXLR to send to second desk?

No messing about with DI boxes or anything (as long as all your inputs are balanced already)

You can make these up yourself with small diameter balanced cable or buy them for £11 each http://www.studiospares.com/Leads-Splitter...ead/invt/595350

The best way to do this is to use line isloating transformers but these cost a fair bit and are probably above the needs of this type of production. (I've only ever used them once or twice when radio OB truck recording)

HTH

Andy

Thanks for that suggestion Andy. I'm not sure if the splitter lead idea will work (although I do love its simplicity!) as I'll be using the monitor desk to supply the phantom power to the mics - would this cause issues for the second desk?

Ben

I wouldn't imagine it would cause problems for the second desk, unless someone turned phantom powering on on both desks - that might be a problem.

Honest answer is that I am not certain enough to tell you to go and do it, although I would with my gear....

Andy

Use the splitters. Nothing complicated is needed here. Phantom will not harm the other desk. :wall:

Although the split may be built into the stagebox, just about every (analogue) system with a second desk works this way. Some use isloating transformers, but they're usually only found in big set ups, or when the split needs to be more than two way.

How many channels we talking? The shorting of inserts works but then you cannot add inserts to the channels. Best bet is a passive split or look for BSS splits usually there is plenty off people selling them.

edit:spag

The channel inserts are post gain control, so every time the monitor engineer adjusts the gain of a channel, the level of that sound source will change in the FOH console as well. This can make the FOH engineer unhappy. Then there's the cost of the transformers to balance the lines to FOH. Cheaper to just get a hard-wired splitter (http://audiopile.net/products/Stagelink_snakes/Poorman_splitter_snakes/PSX-S_poorman_spliter_snakes_cutsheet.asp). Or, get a monitor console that has splitters built in (Allen & Heath MixWiz Monitor or GL2800M).

Thanks for the advice one and all. I'm thinking the splitter cable will be the cheapest and simplest solution. I've found a couple that CPC sell - one with an output transformer and one without. Is it worth spending twice as much for the one with the transformer? The monitor desk will be providing the phantom power to the mics (there will be 8 of them).

Just make up some simple y split leads i.e. 1 female XLR to 2 male XLR and be done with it no need for anything fancy at level and number of channels you're talking about. And maybe don't use the monitor desk for phantom use the foh desk as that will have everything going to it anyway

Charlie

Those are more expensive because they're transformer based by the look of it. Technically speaking they're better because you're actually getting the original signal twice, whereas with Y splits you're getting half the signal twice - but as has been said before, for most applications the simple hard wired split will be perfectly adequate and a lot cheaper!

Archived