Soft keys and Strand desks

TeeJay

So okay, its another Strand 530 question.

We are looking to program subs on this, capturing only intensities on channels - not attributes. We know we need to use a soft key but all the soft keys on the middle LCD have been programmed as short cuts to macros (not our doing <_< )

Does anyone know where I can find the 'ints only' and get it back onto a soft key? Or a keyboard shortcut for entering this command.

Thanks in advance

Doesn't matter that the middle softkeys have macros programmed into them (that's their only function in life!) - the "ints only" and "atts only" softkeys appear on the right-hand display (above the numeric keypad) when required. So for your example, set up the state you want to record onto the sub, hit Record, at this point the "ints only" softkey will appear, press it, hit Sub, type the sub number, hit enter. Job done!

I think there is something now though where you have to press [REC MODE] at some point to get the {INTS ONLY} and {ATTS ONLY} soft keys to appear. (just on 520) Can't remember exactly where.

Hmm, really? Not aware of that. [REC MODE] is just, as far as I'm aware, for the selection of cross/move/all-fade cues - this being one function which does appear on the centre LCD!

I think it's something that has just come in to the newest release, I had to search around to find the button the other day, and eventually realised that you had to press rec-mode or something.

Can't remember exactly though, I think it may only be in preview that it matters

Actually, I should correct myself ...

When I posted earlier, saying that {ATTS ONLY}, etc. appeared on the right LCD, I was thinking of the 520 (on which it is the case). On a 530, which we are discussing here, they do indeed appear in place of the macro softkeys on the middle LCD.

But the fact remains that having macros programmed into those softkeys makes no difference to the way the intensity and attribute filter softkeys work.

I feel like a doofus <_<

{Inty only} is a soft key that appears on the right-hand LCD after you have pressed something like SUB, CUE, etc

Too busy assuming it would buried in the menu structure to actually go through step by step.

D'oh

Gareths example, I believe, is for when the board is set up in command line format - the one I'm using at the minute is on Direct 1 Key

Thanks for all the replies though.

{Ints only} is a soft key that appears on the right-hand LCD after you have pressed something like SUB, CUE, etc

Too busy assuming it would buried in the menu structure to actually go through step by step.

Gareths example, I believe, is for when the board is set up in command line format - the one I'm using at the minute is on Direct 1 Key

You've made the same mistake that I did earlier in this thread - on the 530 it appears in the middle LCD, not the right. I suspect you're doing what I did, and thinking of the 520, on which it does actually appear on the right-hand LCD.

And no, my example relates to direct-entry operation. I don't use command-line mode - haven't done so since I worked with an LP90 in the mid-90's.

May as post it in this thread, what exactly is the best mode to run the 500 series in? I prefer using Command Line, but is it more powerful or easier to use by running in Direct modes?

Stu

May as post it in this thread, what exactly is the best mode to run the 500 series in? I prefer using Command Line, but is it more powerful or easier to use by running in Direct modes?

The entry mode makes no difference to the functionality of the console.

Personally, I prefer 2-digit. People who's brains are stuck in a Galaxy/Gemini-shaped rut tend to prefer 1-digit, coz that's what they're used to (but this mode is no good for direct entry of scroller frame numbers greater than 9 <_< ). People who like the Light Palette / Obsession interface tend to plump for command-line. Use whatever you're most comfortable with. The bottom line is that an operator can only get the most out of their desk when they're completely comfortable with the interface between them and it, so pick whichever one works best for you.

Archived