Martin Audio Blackline

fatfrog

Hi Lads,

I'm finding that I am getting more and more work with large bands lately so I'm in dire need of a larger FOH PA.

I've been subbing one in for the last few gigs which is quite costly.

After some online research and listening tests I have came to the conclusion that the Martin Blackline system is what I want.

Firstly regarding subs is there a big performance difference in having 2x S18's a side rather than one S218+ a side?

The reason I ask is that for smaller gigs I could get away with one sub per side. Obviously I would ratchet strap them together making them solid together.

Secondly, regarding the 12" vs 15" debate, I presume the F12 will do fine as long as I'll always be using subs with this.

I'm sure Rob_Beech will be around shortly to answer my questions as he's our resident Martin expert.

Thanks,

Alan

shouldnt make a huge difference having two seperate subs. saying that I dont know these units too well so I dont know if there is anything extra done to the s218. but as long as you have them tight together and strapped you will still get your summing.

Hi Alan.

Two f12's would easily keep up with a pair of s18's, in fact I believe that even Mr Beech would combine an f12 with a x2 18" blackline sub.

After hearing and using the Martin f12 for the first time last week (courtesy of Mr Rob Beech) I would say you can't go far wrong, the high/mids are first class, really clear and detailed.

Full range, there is a certain quality that I have only heard from say, the nexo ps range. (haha)

But seriously, I used the f12 full range, it easily measured up to a quality 15" box. RCF, LOGIC, NEXO, etc.

And was loads nicer sounding than an sx300. :P

Ps. How are you going with your TT+?

Great,

Thats what I was thinking regarding the subs, I'll wait for robs opinions before doing much though.

Tolly - I'd initially be looking at 2 F12's or F15's and 2 S218's or 4 S18's depending on what rob suggests...Ye lot are so lucky regarding gear in the UK. I'd have bought the blackline rob had for sale any day if it wasn't for transport. It'd cost an arm and a leg to get it home no matter what way.

John the RCF TT+ has been extremely busy lately, Still absolutely delighted with it but I just need something bigger for full bands etc. It's being used comedians, acoustic acts, duos, musicals etc - pretty much anything that doesn't require tons of bass. I love it cos I can bring it anywhere with me.

Alan

Great,

Thats what I was thinking regarding the subs, I'll wait for robs opinions before doing much though.

Tolly - I'd initially be looking at 2 F12's or F15's and 2 S218's or 4 S18's depending on what rob suggests...Ye lot are so lucky regarding gear in the UK. I'd have bought the blackline rob had for sale any day if it wasn't for transport. It'd cost an arm and a leg to get it home no matter what way.

John the RCF TT+ has been extremely busy lately, Still absolutely delighted with it but I just need something bigger for full bands etc. It's being used comedians, acoustic acts, duos, musicals etc - pretty much anything that doesn't require tons of bass. I love it cos I can bring it anywhere with me.

Alan

I have to quote the full post here, I'm sure Rob will agree with me? (fingers crossed????)

I was surprised that you went with the 8" tops and 12" subs in the first place though Alan, though a great sound, you are really not going to get much 'oomph' out of them.

Hi John,

I went with the 8" tops and 12" subs route due to the fact that I needed a small but powerful system to fur fill certain shows etc. I'd have no intention of bringing the black line to a small gig with a comedian for instane

The small RCF rig has filled venues over 500 with clear high quality sound, This is something that I'm absolutely thrilled about and wouldn't change for anything. I'd love to buy a second RCF TT+ System but the price is a far bit above the price of second hand Black line and what I'm willing to pay.

Oh, And one more thing - Not many pa systems can give the quality of the RCF TT+ and fit in a large saloon car with room to spare...At christmas we had the 2x RCF TTS12 Subs & 2x TT08a Tops, Allen & Heath Mix Wiz, Poles, stands and lots of cabling - 3 people & Clothes for 5 days all packed into a Mercedes C200 Saloon.

Anyways, Todays it's Black Line Day!!!

Regards,

Alan

Ignore the F15's they're huge boxes. They're louder than an F12, but only when you compare like for like Full range. You're not running them full range so there is no difference in volume, just in sound and size/weight.

I'd suggest 4 S18's rather than 2 S218's for exactly the reason you state. Smaller jobs you take in 1 sub, larger ones, 2 subs. If you managed to pick up 4 F12's it could even split up as 2 systems.. I'd recommend an amp and processor per side. Keep the speaker cable runs short and give you the possibility mentioned above of having it as 2 systems.

If this is live work then 2 S18's per F12 is about right for most program material. If it's playback you may get away with 1:1 for some program material but may need as high as 4:1 for things like drum and bass etc. With the right amp the F12 is a very loud box, and doesn't lose its character even when you are putting several hundred watts through them.

Incidentally, the blackline of mine is sold (pending payment).

Rob

Hi Lads,

Rob has confirmed my queries regarding the 2 S18's which will make life alot easier that carrying one larger s218.

Now. Just to find some F12+ going for a reasonable price. If anyone knows anywhere good to try please do let me know.

Cheers,

Alan

Archived