Good advice

Just Some Bloke

I'm currently reading the Stage Rigging Handbook by J. O. Glerum (Southern Illinois University Press) which gives lots of useful information on calculating stresses etc. I've just passed the bit where he discusses putting too much stress on a hanging point, so it reaches it's 'breaking point'. He writes:

When a component fails and breaks apart the official terminology used in accident reports is that "the component suffered a catastrophic failure". Because the failure is usually accompanied by a loud noise, the riggers on the job will say that "the son of a blew up". These terms are synonymous. Whatever the term used, the result is to be avoided.

Just thought you should all know, lest anyone be in any doubt! :)

• 5 weeks later...
When a component fails and breaks apart the official terminology used in accident reports is that "the component suffered a catastrophic failure".  Because the failure is usually accompanied by a loud noise, the riggers on the job will say that "the son of a blew up".  These terms are synonymous.  Whatever the term used, the result is to be avoided.

I'll be employing some of that... I'll also have to get a hold of a copy of that book B-)

JoHn -- Venture

Archived