Mic'ing a band with very little budget!

ace

Hi Guys,

I have found myself in a difficult position (again!). Where due to one disaster after another all of my budget has been cut at a charity event, but the band has miraculously agreed to play for free. However we have no budget left for mic hire etc. I am therefore going to have to try and get by on a bare minimum, and use what kit I have to hand.

The band require the following:

3 x Vocal Mics

3 x Backline Cabs which will need to be mic'ed

1 x Drum kit.

1 x Acoustic guitar

I have the use of a suitable in house PA, and I also have a small 12 channel mixer and a couple of monitor wedges. The question is, is there anyway to use the following list of microphones to achieve this set up? I currently have laying around:

7 x AKG C747

4 x Sennheiser ew100 hand held mics

1x SM58

1x SM57

4x Behringer C2 (Dont ask, we found them somewhere)

Can anyone suggest whether the following would work at any level: 3x ew100 as vocal mics, SM57 as kick, 2x C747 drum kit overhead, 3x C747 or C2 to mic the cabs.

I really do value your thoughts!

Chris

7 x AKG C747

4 x Sennheiser ew100 hand held mics

1x SM58

1x SM57

4x Behringer C2 (Dont ask, we found them somewhere)

Can anyone suggest whether the following would work at any level: 3x ew100 as vocal mics, SM57 as kick, 2x C747 drum kit overhead, 3x C747 or C2 to mic the cabs.

Well, basically your f***ed, but I guess you already know that! Here is my suggestion

3 x ew 100 handheld mics ( which mics are they? ) for Vocals.

SM57 for Kick

SM58 with grill off for 1 lead cab

2 x C2 for other 2 cabs

2 x C2 or Overheads

Good luck!!!

Well, basically your f***ed, but I guess you already know that! Here is my suggestion

** laughs out loud **! Cheers! It seems that I may have found a very small hire budget. Could you recommend where I should prioritize hiring mics, and also any suggestions as to which mics to use would be greatly appreciated!

Chris

Chris,

Keep the C2 for overheads and get some SM57 on the cabs,toms & snare and a SM91 or AKG D112 on the kick. Use a C2 on the hat. The rest of the mics you have should be fine. All the mention mics should be cheap and readily available from most hire companies. Put a 747 on the acc guitar and you should have a fully miked band to play with!

Let us know how it goes.

Tony

Is there nobody on here that is in the OPs location that would be willing to lend him the relevant mics ,,, I always do a few freebies a year ,, to do my bit .... unfortunatley Mic hire isnt my area .... But is there anyone who can help ???? :P :)

That's why I asked where the gig is taking place, and we've not had an answer! It may be Bangor, but we don't know that.

Thats it Mark , We re a friendly bunch on here are nt we :P .... Im sure If the OP tells us where he is and where the Gig is we ll be able to sort him out :P

We re the BLUEROOM family :)

Curmudgeonly old git time:

Nobody has asked about the capabilities of the REST of the system and everyone has focused on the mic list.

However, unless the whole chain (mixer/EQ/crossover/amps/speakers or whatever) are up to a certain standard, is it really worth miking the backline and the drums? It takes a decent system to be louder (and sound as good) as a live drum kit and/or a moderately sized guitar amp.

It may be that the best plan is just to "keep it simple" and only mic the vocals and acoustic guitar.

However, I'd agree that, if the OP gives a few more details, he may find some help available.

Bob

Curmudgeonly old git time:

Nobody has asked about the capabilities of the REST of the system and everyone has focused on the mic list.

However, unless the whole chain (mixer/EQ/crossover/amps/speakers or whatever) are up to a certain standard, is it really worth miking the backline and the drums? It takes a decent system to be louder (and sound as good) as a live drum kit and/or a moderately sized guitar amp.

It may be that the best plan is just to "keep it simple" and only mic the vocals and acoustic guitar.

However, I'd agree that, if the OP gives a few more details, he may find some help available.

Bob

Well, as a 29 year old, you would have thought that the OP woukd have been more forthcoming in his requirements, but apparently not.

As Bobsy said, the rest of the gear is relevant in this situation so without the OP updating, or giving a comprehensive spec list of the gear available then there's not a lot we can do.

Ace, tell us where you are for x's sake. Pretty much everyone who posted a reply here has access to a mic stock. Not that I'm encouraging blagging you understand.

PS Agree with Tony and Rob - The Audix D6 kicks but please don't let this turn into another "my mics better than your mic" debate.

Archived