Expensive Radio Microphones

slim_mcslim

I assume you are the supplier, so want to make a bigger profit?

Put yourself in his shoes - would you buy the 3000 series, knowing what you do about the microphones? It's all about the best microphone for the job and the budget, not the most expensive!

Chris

How can I persuade a client that they really want to buy Sennheiser 3000 series radio microphones, at around £4000 per channel...

How much better are they than the evolutions that they think they want ?

P.

They're NO better than the evolution series; and they are in fact worse than the evolution series for getting spares and replacement mic's and cables due to their unique sennheiser connection - unlike the evolution series that have locking jack connectors.

I have the 3000 series at my venue (they pre-date my arrival) and I hate them for being up to four times more expensive to restock with capsules and cables - no good when you want quality for professionals and cheap, replaceable parts for amateurs and children - handing over £3000 of microphone to someone who cannot dress themselves or whose car is out back covered in dents is NO FUN!

I don't believe anyone could honestly recommend Sennheiser 3000 series in this day and age - the Evolution series, Shure and AKG systems all work just as well and come in a fair bit cheaper.

How can I persuade a client that they really want to buy Sennheiser 3000 series radio microphones, at around £4000 per channel...

How much better are they than the evolutions that they think they want ?

With respect, and I do mean that most sincerely, if you don't already know the answer to the question you aren't really in a good position to be making that recommendation to your client.

I have seen over the years several over specced installations where the equipment supplied is clearly beyond the requirements and not a good use of the client's budget. One example that springs to mind is a full set of broadcast splits supplied to a city council that will have cost upwards of £10,000 and has never been used. It's a very pretty rack and I would be surprised if many sound engineers manage to walk past it and comment about how much money it must have cost.

Making the commission might be good in the short term but a poor use of your client's money will most likely return to bite you.

Given the current mess concerning the future of radio frequencies in this country it would take a person with far more courage than me to commit someone to purchasing a £4,000 potential doorstop for the future, especially if a £400 one would have served equally well.

Cheers,

Peter

let me fill in some blanks...

the client wants some future proof radio mics, and they are used very heavily (daily), I am lead to believe that the 3000 series will be supported by sennheiser and already cover a huge frequency range 560 - 960mhz

I would quite happily supply evolution 300 or 500 to them, but this is not the future proof they want, and they have the money to buy now, not in the next couple of years.

Which is what I mean by the 2012 bit. The LATEST news seems to mean that the 3000 and 5000's WILL be compatible, the evolutions will be throw away jobs.

Of course, things can change and we might be left with 2 plastic cups and a bit of string.

I for one am going to not go to the pub, cinema, eat out, and use the spare cash to buy lots of radio mics in the vain hope that something goes completely wrong and we end up still using them..........

one step at a time, we'll start with the cinema I think.

I would quite happily supply evolution 300 or 500 to them, but this is not the future proof they want, and they have the money to buy now, not in the next couple of years.

You might want to look in to Zaxcom digital radio mics. Bloody expensive but supposedly future proof. As in use on High School Musical, Carousel, West Side Story, Chicago and Flashdance...

EDIT : And, in the spirit of full disclosure, exclusivly available in the UK through the company I work for, Orbital Sound.

Maybe he hasn't, maybe he's referring to the sound, Most people prefer the sound of any mic you can give them to the 58. Sadly though, there aren't many mics you can use to build a shed with an then sing through it in your local that night, that is where the 58 comes out on top.

Digital Radio mics.

It's all well and good, but what if they're NOT future proof. What if something else changes. It's a lot of money.

I'd suspect that as time draws nearer to D day more companies will be developing systems.

There IS still time for 300 and even 500 series mics to pay for themselves and make a profit if you have the work for them.

A set of 4 300series at say £450 a piece, and another £350 for the accessories.

If you're able to chuck them out at £100 for the package per day it doesn't need many hires to make the money back.

All 20 of my wireless channels have made their money back and made at least twice that price in clear profit on top( some many more). It would be nice not to have to buy any more but they owe me nothing.

Archived