HYT 2 way radios

Chris Adam

Just thought I'd pop this on here in case anyone else deals with 2 way radios a lot.

We've just replaced all of our Motorola stock of 2 way radios, for a new HYT system and they are causing huge issues. The first being randomly blasting out static (usually when I'm dealing with a client), and the second being a huge interference with anything electrical. TVs go nuts, it's audible in sound systems and computer screens go wild. Not good for a busy venue as you can imagine.

Thankfully we sub hire, so I'll be able to replace them all with a new stock of something else, but I thought I'd warn other users - just in case you purchase these.

Now, I'll be honest - the reason we sub hire is because I know nothing about 2 way radio maintainance, so I'd assume that someone who does may be able to do something to stop these issues, or maybe the manufacturer can adjust something, but it's worth a fore warning I'd guess.

I'm a motorola/Icom marine person mainly, but I'll try and be helpful on this. Apologies if you've already thought of these.

Issue one is usually a squelch issue. Depending on the model of your radio it can be easy to fix, the most needed being hooking up to a PC.

Issue 2's a bit more complicated, probably something for the manufacturer to look at. Does it happen when transmitting or recieving, or is it just random?

Cheers for the reply.

I agree that it's likely to be a squelch issue, but they have to be connected to a PC for adjustment. The hire company lock off all functions other than channel selection.

The interference only happens during transmit.

The only reason we changed from motorola was because the radios we had were showing their age and the hire company we had those from wasn't offering support (even with a 4 year long term contract - so we said "screw you")

I don't know a huge amount about HYT, but these radios look like a decent equivilent to the motorolas, but they have to be reliable. Our stewarding teams are on the same ones, so it's imperative that they work well. What a pain in the arse.

Archived