Looking for Clear Heatshrink, 3:1 or 4:1 ratio

Stuart91

I'm attempt to "retro-fit" some labelling onto many of our XLR cables, using a sticker with heatshrink over it. I'd far rather not have to unsolder an end of every cable, and the ideal solution would be clear heatshrink with a relatively high shrink ratio. This only has to get over the inner connector piece of the XLR, as I can easily remove the shell and move the boot back up the cable until the shrinking is complete.

The inner piece is roughly 15mm in diameter, and Van Damme's website tells me that the cable diameter is 6.35mm. What I'm needing, then, is heatshrink that's 15mm or so in diameter (or maybe a little larger to give me some wriggle room) that will shrink on at least a 3:1 ratio to grip the cable enough.

I've tried the usual suspects, CPC, VDC, Rapid, etc. A bit of googling turned up RS product 1573880 which seems like it would do the trick but at £8-odds per metre is a bit on the pricey side.

Has anyone out there found any good suppliers for this particular spec of heatshrink?

I'm attempt to "retro-fit" some labelling onto many of our XLR cables, using a sticker with heatshrink over it. I'd far rather not have to unsolder an end of every cable, and the ideal solution would be clear heatshrink with a relatively high shrink ratio. This only has to get over the inner connector piece of the XLR, as I can easily remove the shell and move the boot back up the cable until the shrinking is complete.

The inner piece is roughly 15mm in diameter, and Van Damme's website tells me that the cable diameter is 6.35mm. What I'm needing, then, is heatshrink that's 15mm or so in diameter (or maybe a little larger to give me some wriggle room) that will shrink on at least a 3:1 ratio to grip the cable enough.

I've tried the usual suspects, CPC, VDC, Rapid, etc. A bit of googling turned up RS product 1573880 which seems like it would do the trick but at £8-odds per metre is a bit on the pricey side.

Has anyone out there found any good suppliers for this particular spec of heatshrink?

That's adhesive lined, try RS 2527917 for 18mm 3:1 clear.

• 3 weeks later...
Try this thread: HERE and on post 10 there is the RS Number of the 18mm, 3:1 clear heat shrink. It's about £6.50 now for a 3m reel.

Ordered up a few reels of the heatshrink in question. It works perfectly for X-series Neutrik XLRs. You need to dismantle the connector, but don't have to unsolder anything. The heatshrink fits over the inner part quite happily. However we have a minority of newer XX-series XLRs in our hire stock, and it's much more of a struggle to get over those - 4:1 shrink ratio might be a better bet for them.

Thanks to all who replied - it looks like this is going to work out quite nicely.

Archived