Speaker Config Help

Disco2dance

I have a pair of peavey 15" 4ohm messenger pro subs, a pair of custom biult subs with 600w eminence kappa pro drivers and a pair of full range jbl tr125 s what is the best way to wire them, im concerned about the ohms.

I personally, would say:3 pairs of different spec cabs = 3 different amps.

This gives you more flexibility to match the amps to the speakers, without having to worry about impedance and overloading.

Depending on the power handling of the Peavy subs and the impedance of the eninence you *might* get away with running them off one amp. However I would suggest a dedicated amp for your full range cabs, then you can run the amp(s) for your subs through a low pass filter/crossover to filter out frequencys you don't want them trying to produce.

thanks for your advice I only have 2 amps I was thinking of running amp- peavey subs - tops but with the subs being 4 ohms will it knock my jbl tops down to 2 ohms. this would be using a cmark 2350 amp that give 525w at 4ohms , god I hate this ohms thing.

No, a properly designed passive crossover in the sub would keep the impedance at or at least very close to 4ohms throughout the frequency range.

You don't mention whether you have active crossovers or not. If not you need one at least to low pass the other subs.

I forgot to say the peaveys are 300w rms and the impedance of the eminence is 8ohms ,

****anybody want to swap all these for a pair of speakers that just plug in???***

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

No, a properly designed passive crossover in the sub would keep the impedance at or at least very close to 4ohms throughout the frequency range.

You don't mention whether you have active crossovers or not. If not you need one at least to low pass the other subs.

hello again im asumming that its built in it has input speakon and jack on one side of the back plate , and it has the same connections on the other side saying hi pass out , does this help?

Correct me if I am wrong but don’t the peavey subs have a high pass out?

If they do you could do something along the lines of

Amp1à Peavey sub à JBL Top

Amp2 àCustom Sub

That would keep the load on each amp to 4ohms or above. Another option would be

Amp1 à Custom Sub à Peavey sub

Amp2 à JBL Top

The problem with this setup is the load on the first amp would be quite high, something along the lines of 2.6 ohms which is pushing it for a budget amp once you take into acount the resistance in the cable

There are a few other wiring options that you could do with 2 amps but that covers most of them whislt keeping the system in stereo, if you wanted to go mono on the subs how about

Amp1 A à Custom sub à Custom sub (4ohm load)

Amp1 B à JBL Top Left (8ohm load)

Amp2 A à JBL Top Right (8ohm load)

Amp2 B à Peavey Sub à Peavey sub (2ohm load)

Or totally mono

Amp1 A à Custom sub à Custom sub (4ohm load)

Amp1 B à JBL Top Left à JBL Top Right (4ohm load)

Amp2 A à Peavey Sub (4ohm load)

Amp2 B à Peavey Sub à (4ohm load)

With amp 2, do the custom subs have a passive crossover in them?

If they do, use that. If they don't it would be a good idea to get a crossover for them and put it before the amp.

If you don't you will be sending frequencies to them that they wont be able to easily reproduce. It wont damage the speakers (see another thread for a reason why) but it will waste amp power.

Josh

Archived