lost Strand 300 channel upgrade

nimblesquirrel

I am trying to resurrect a Strand 300. It has been sitting in storage for a while, and getting it up and running has been difficult. The BIOS battery needs replacing, and I suspect that the DiskOnChip is starting to go. I can find replacements, but my issue is the software. I downloaded the latest software from Strand and reinstalled it onto the desk to get it working. My issue is that the desk had a 250 channel/attribute upgrade, and after installing the upgrade has disappeared. I now have a desk with 50 channels and 50 attributes. If I can't recover the upgrade, I don't really want to waste anymore time or effort trying to resurrect it.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hi,

There is a file called STRAND.PAS that contains all the channels/applications you've purchased which is stored in the 220OS directory. When you loaded the software did you do it from Strand OS or DOS? if it was the latter it is likely your STRAND.PAS may have been overwritten with the default settings. I'm not sure how desks were shipped from new, but my console has a backup of the password on a floppy, perhaps it's worth a look? If not I would recommend giving Strand (Europe) a call and see what they can do, when the desk was purchased it should have been registered with its serial number so there may be a glimmer of hope that Strand still have these details and can send you the password.

Good luck,

Chris

<br />Have you contacted Strand?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Not Yet. I was hoping that there would be an easy solution (a DOS command or changing a value with a hex editor), or that there was something obvious that I have overlooked.

Nope, not an easy solution that I'm aware of. Restoring your missing channels will be a case of having to get an 'activation' code out of Strand if you don't have the original floppy disk.

<br />Hi,<br />There is a file called STRAND.PAS that contains all the channels/applications you've purchased which is stored in the 220OS directory. When you loaded the software did you do it from Strand OS or DOS? if it was the latter it is likely your STRAND.PAS may have been overwritten with the default settings. I'm not sure how desks were shipped from new, but my console has a backup of the password on a floppy, perhaps it's worth a look? If not I would recommend giving Strand (Europe) a call and see what they can do, when the desk was purchased it should have been registered with its serial number so there may be a glimmer of hope that Strand still have these details and can send you the password. <br /><br />Good luck,<br />Chris<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I updated from the Strand OS, so it should have kept the PAS settings. I have emailed Strand now, but no response as yet. Unfortunately, as I wasn't the one who put the desk in storage two years ago, the original install disks and password file have since been lost.

I'd wait to see what Strand have to say, Bill Richards is the man you want if you can't get hold of anyone. Unfortunately as Gareth has explained all codes are unique and are generated from your serial number by Strand, so your best bet is with them. Whenever I've upgraded a console in Strand OS I've never experienced the problem of all channels reverted to the defaults. What version were you upgrading from? I know with the 500s when upgrading from 1.x to 2 you had to re-register with Strand but that should effect the 300s as it was before their time.

Sorry I couldn't help further,

Chris

Archived