EV P3000 Amps

aidso

Right just a quick one. Anyone had any problems with EV P3000 not RLs just standard P3000. Had these amps since release so a good few years and not so much as a popped fuse. Two weeks one just randomly died. Using it the night before and was great, plugged it in and when you brought channel 1 up fine. Bring channel 2 up on its own fine, bring both channels up and whoo white noise. Its lived its life in a good flight case with a P2400 and a P600. Second one died yesterday turned it on and it stayed in protect, let audio pass though like it should and sounded fine. Powered down and left it for a min then powered back up and it triped a 16A MCB but not the 30ma RCD? just annoyed cause these would be the work horse.

I run a number of P3000's and have found them (so far) to give rock solid reliability and I have had zero problems with mine. Mind you, mine will be newer than yours! However good and reliable equipment is, it WILL fail at some point and you may have just experienced an unlucky consequence of two failing at the same time (given they are the same age).

I have found Shuttlesound (the Uk Electrovoice distributor) to be helpful and reasonably quick when it comes to repairs.

A 30mA RCD will only trip if the appliance in question causes a fault current to flow via its earth connection. Your 16A MCB tripped because the amplifier was drawing excessive current from the mains supply. This indicates either a fault with the amplifier's power supply or a fault elseware causing excessive current to be drawn from it.

Feel free to PM anytime.

Dan

yeah they will go back to shuttle next week or so. not looking foward to the charrage charge on these. Have a third just wondering if I should leave it on soak test for a few days

If you don't need it why not send it and get it checked out / serviced at the same time as the others. It would have to be a pallet for the 3 of them. Not cheap I guess but worth it for peace of mind and getting the other 2 fixed.

A 30mA RCD will only trip if the appliance in question causes a fault current to flow via its earth connection.

Not quite - an RCD detects an imbalance between the live and neutral current. If the two differ by more than 30mA, it'll trip. That 30mA may be flowing down the earth wire, but it may be flowing through you...

Agree the P3000 (and it's Dynacord equivalent) are a reliable workhorse, used by theatres, cinemas and nightclubs all over the UK. However, yes, they do fail and quite often catastrophically...there's alot of power going through them. You may simply have been unlucky! They often suffer intermittent internal trimpots as they age, it's important these are checked and aligned after repair or service, and the amp is occasionally hoovered out by an engineer who can carefully strip them down for access.

I agree the EV agent in the UK (Telex Communications UK Ltd t/a Shuttlesound) are a credit to the brand and will happily dish out spares as required...unlike some current distributors of famous brands!

Archived