Strand xConnect oddness

gareth

G'day all.

Discovered something odd with xConnect today - not sure why I haven't noticed it before!

When logged into a console (530 running with cue tracking turned on) as a second user, and trying to update cues from xConnect using the Update function, using the Q key to supposedly add the "Cue Only" function to the command line actually adds "Track" - i.e. the behaviour you'd expect if you pressed the Q Only/Track key during an update command with tracking turned off.

Shift + Q Only, which ought to append "Trackback" to the command line, doesn't do what it should either - it still just adds "Track".

Any idea how I can make it behave as it should?

Presume all functions are correct on the desk itself?

Yup. Tracking is on, and Q Only key on console functions as expected.

Hmm.

As soon as this matinee's over, I'm going to switch tracking off on the desk, and see what happens then when I use the Q Only key from an xConnect remote login ...

Sorry, meant to come back an update this topic sooner ...

After a lot of investigation and fiddling, it turns out that xConnect has a bug in it - one which, as the software is no longer being developed, will now sadly not be fixed. On a console, the Q ONLY/TRACK key changes function depending what mode you're in (tracking off, key does TRACK ; tracking on, key does Q ONLY). It also gives TRACKBACK if used with SHIFT. On xConnect, however, the shortcut key (Q) that's supposed to map to that key, doesn't actually map to the key - it maps directly to the TRACK command - so from xConnect, Q gives a TRACK command regardless of what mode you're in (and doesn't give TRACKBACK if preceeded by the 's' shortcut for SHIFT, either).

The only way I can think of to get around this is to program one of the P-key macros (P1 is convenient, as its xconnect shortcut is CTRL-Q) to deliver a CUE ONLY command. I can then map the appropriate key on my X-Keys Pro keypad to fire that macro instead of sending a Q shortcut.

Archived