Really stupid question...

Dodgecaliber

Someone has just came upto me and asked whether a stage side sound desk should be active or passive.

The venue this person is refering to is rather small, the current sound system runs through a desk with too few channels and they are bringing in a desk that will patch into the venue one via a patch bay. There is already a channel assigned on the venue desk for this purpose.

Should the extra desk be passive or active?

Sorry if it's not explained too well, Just something I've never paid attention to!

from the description it sounds like passive is the way to go

just to confirm though

this desk's outputs will be running into a pair of inputs on the resident desk for the venue?

if so then it needs to be passive yes

Hi all, thanks for that!

You are correct with what I meant - Its too much work to type amplified and unamplified when you have a puppy lying on the keyboard and a baby if your arms!

To clarify the outputs on the stage desk will feed to a couple of inputs on the venue desk via a patch bay.

Just when someone asked me I was a little dumbstruck and couldn't quite think for myself!

I didn't want to give them the wrong answer just because Im having a slow day.

Thanks all!

No problem.

On a vaguely similar vein, I have a saturday job working in an AV retailer where we sell all active speakers. Someone once bought in a pair they'd decided to plug into an already amplified output. Well you can imagine the sound they made :** laughs out loud **: The same kind of thing would happen with your PA system if you connected the amplified output into the venue desk.

Not too sure.

A decent input stage should be able to cope SHORT TERM. A high input impedance is one reason for this. Not recommended and it will certainly damage things eventually.

What about the output stage though? An amplified signal is going to have a huge amount of gain on it, and no matter what your input stage can handle, it'll surely push the amps straight into clipping and take the speakers out with it (if you're not expecting this sort of incoming signal and hence pads etc... are not engaged).

No rob is right

To clip an amp does not mean you instantly take out your drivers

and remember that the input impedance will be many times higher

so less power put across it

think 100@4R 50@8R 25@16R etc 'ish'

Also a good balanced input stage is isolated from direct electrical force

would be worse if unbalanced

still bad though and you could brake something

Although as a bodge playing with gains and levels you could get away with it if stuck

'a bloke told me' :helmetsmiley:

Cliveybaby

On a vaguely similar vein, I have a saturday job working in an AV retailer where we sell all active speakers. Someone once bought in a pair they'd decided to plug into an already amplified output.

I'm sure you mean powered, as active and passive refer to crossovers (or the lack of) inside the cabinets...

Do love it when I see things so clearly mislabled in shops

No rob is right

To clip an amp does not mean you instantly take out your drivers

and remember that the input impedance will be many times higher

so less power put across it

think 100@4R 50@8R 25@16R etc 'ish'

Also a good balanced input stage is isolated from direct electrical force

would be worse if unbalanced

still bad though and you could brake something

Although as a bodge playing with gains and levels you could get away with it if stuck

'a bloke told me' :unsure:

Cliveybaby

Ahs I see what Rob was saying now! Thanks :helmetsmiley:

and there was me thinking about older dedicated stage monitor desks with passive mic splits built in. Then I wondered if some of these were active splits. Could be, I thought? Never gave it much thought. Spent half an hour Googling to see if I could find out which were which, but no luck. Forgot all about it, and then came back to find out everyone was talking about mixers with built in amps!

Archived