CCT 1KW Discharge Followspot with ballast

scheetham

I’ve recently bought a CCT 1KW Discharge Follow spot with ballast. All looks good, but when I stripped down the main lamp housing I found that the follow spot was missing a High Voltage Pulse Transformer. I Know that these maybe hard to come by, even left a message with CCT direct, hoping they know of where I can get hold of one. Does anyone know of where they may still exist? Where I can optain one, or something silmilar?

Help to bring back to life a good looked after CCT Follow spot. Instead of being put on the scrap heap??

Many Thanks

Steve

Is it a magnetic or electronic ballast?

I'm no expert on discharge lighting, but all the magnetic ones I've seen just use ballast, capacitor and ignitor.

The ignitor generates the high voltage pulses to strike the lamp so I wonder if that's what you're after?

I've bought them from these people before. http://www.dealec.co.uk/acatalog/ERC_Light...ntrol_Gear.html look in the "special applications" sections.

If it's an electronic ballast, then it's way over my head!!!

All the cct followpot ballasts I have come across have been magnetic, and have used a discharge coil for starting, which operates on the same principle as the ignition coil in a car

if the coil or replacement is unavailable, then it would be possible to build a new ballast for relatively little expense. Most 1kw csi / cid ballasts used 3 400w hid chokes in parrallel as 1kw was not a common rating. this would require a little wiring knowledge, but im sure given time, cct can supply a suitable circuit diagram ( or indeed hopefully the correct coil)

• 1 year later...
I've recently bought a CCT 1KW Discharge Follow spot with ballast. All looks good, but when I stripped down the main lamp housing I found that the follow spot was missing a High Voltage Pulse Transformer. I Know that these maybe hard to come by, even left a message with CCT direct, hoping they know of where I can get hold of one. Does anyone know of where they may still exist? Where I can optain one, or something silmilar?

Help to bring back to life a good looked after CCT Follow spot. Instead of being put on the scrap heap??

Many Thanks

Steve

Hello,

Do you still need an HT ignitor for your followspot. They are a Thorn unit also used in the Strand PATT 765, CSI followspots. I do have a couple of them around here somewhere. If I can find one, you would be welcome to it.

One warning though... The 1Kw CSI / CID lamps are rare and very expensive. Also, check that your holder is clean and in good condition. If they arc, they overheat the lamp pins and melt the aluminium connection between the pin and bulb.

Daniel.

Archived