Am I on the mark?

Will Perkins

Hi all,

I've been spec-ing up a new "portable" PA system for use at work (A school, I'm not a student). General use for this system will be school shows including musicals/drama/music concerts and fashion shows as well as other use like sports day, parents evenings and band nights.

I basically need to prove that I haven't over-spec'd for the job (the odd bit of Behringer kit can be found in the spec, but it's mainly JBL, QSC, Allen and Heath etc). Could some of you have a look over the quote for me, and let me know your thoughts?

The money side of things isn't a problem, I've recieved a grant for just over £11k.

http://virtualsights.co.uk/PA_Quote_for_BR.pdf

Thanks in advance.

Im not sure if getting it from all different suppliers is neccessarily the right way to go....as you can probably get someone to give you a good discounted price for that kind of equipment (even if they are only buying it from other suppliers using their own trade discount) also this will probably make after sales support alot simpler.

I know many schools will require atleast three quotes for any thing over £3k so it may be sensible to get quotes from several companies and present them to the school.

My 2p

Im not sure if getting it from all different suppliers is neccessarily the right way to go....as you can probably get someone to give you a good discounted price for that kind of equipment (even if they are only buying it from other suppliers using their own trade discount) also this will probably make after sales support alot simpler.

I know many schools will require atleast three quotes for any thing over £3k so it may be sensible to get quotes from several companies and present them to the school.

My 2p

All that is under control, my question is simply about the specified equipment.

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

are the prices listed including VAT? a few of the studiospares prices are higher on their website, JBL being the main ones, didnt bother looking at everything

This has been going on a while, so the prices arn't quite right. Again, I'm really looking for advice regarding the equipment. Not how I should go about ordering it!

As you're getting eight radio mics, you might want to consider the 300 series rather than the 100 series - they're easier to use in quantity due to the way the banks are programmed. They're also nicer to use in general, plus you get the rack mounting kits bundled for free.

Might be worth looking at an antennae distro too to keep things tidy and reliable - 16 little aerials tucked inside the back of the rack isn't the ideal way to go.

Don't forget to factor in the cost of licencing - I know it's not equipment and will likely come out of a different budget but you'll need one if you want to use more then four systems together. Also bear in mind that you may not be able to use those radio systems at all after about 2012.

Behringer DI-20 DI boxes - shudder. Don't waste the money, just get more DI-100s instead. Done to death on Blue Room, but the DI-20s are so noisy they're useless (unlike the DI-100s).

I'd watch the mic stands as well, especially the Pulse ones. If there's one bit of kit that falls appart with a bit of abuse (and shools tend to give lots of abuse) it's mic stands. Buy well and buy once, buy cheaply and you'll be replacing soon (I speak from bitter experience).

They're the two bits that would scare me in this quote.

I agree on the pulse stands they are much better than other cheap makes like quiklok which do fall apart. I was amazed at their quality for the price.

There is nothing really wrong with your spec, a lot of this is personal preference.

I would personally try and get an LS9 rather than an analogue desk and outboard. From a portability point of view its going to be easier than carting outboard round and having to wire it in every time. It will also be useful for things like band nights because you would have more than enough dynamics and FX's. You could also save the graphics for the different environments and you could save shows and prep them offline. IMO it would give you a masssive extra amount of flexibility. Its the 1 thing I would try and get into the budget. I would cut down on a few other things to save some money to afford the desk.

Thats just what I would do but you know your school and environment better than any of us, as I said earlier their is nothing wrong with any of the gear as far as I can tell, the odd bit of non essential Behringer is not going to hurt you, it will probably die after a while and be replaced with something else. :** laughs out loud **:

Chris

You might want to get thicker speaker cables. 1.5mm2 2 core cable is quite thin, from a handling and robustness point of view even before power losses are considered.

Also you could make up mic and speaker cabling yourself and save money, but that takes time and I don't know if making cables is a good/cost effective use of your time.

Possible suggestions for more expensive speakers include EV ZX range and SX300.

Also I think the Yamaha P series amps might be a step up from the QSC RMX for not too much more cash.

Archived