auto music fade thingy

johndenim

Hi All.

I am now into karaoke/disco, I don't use a specific 'DJ' mixer, but talk inbetween songs and have to fade down the

music manually with the fader.

What I'd like to know is can I buy one of these things that fade down the music as I talk automatically, and then back up again as I

shut up?

Sorry, no Idea what it's called!

As I say its not a feature on my mixer, but can I buy a separate module into which I can plug in a mic and a musical source?

Cheers,

John.

its called "talkover"

most mixers dont have them anymore, as they were plain useless! I didnt see (or hear!) a single mixer that could do it properly, theyd be too sensitive or too slow to respond. Some would engage when you switched the mic on (it would hear the little click) when perhaps this was too early, then theyd take a second or two after youd finished speaking to resume full volume again (an absolute lifetime)

Google for "ducker" and "ducking" with regards to audio and you will find what you want.

There are a variety of devices out there, although I agree with what has just been said with regards to DJ'ing. They are fine for PA and automated systems....

Poppadom

I know it as a "microphone ducker" or "ducking amp". A quick Google on those terms shows many pages of hits but I don't know if any of the solutions there are worth having. Unfortunately, the one maker of something I do know worked stopped manufacturing a couple of decades ago!

However, what set the unit I would have recommended apart was that it didn't try to do this automatically...you triggered it manually, either with a "push to talk"switch on the box itself or with a foot pedal of the sort guitarists use. This caused a quick fade of the background to a preset level...and releasing the switch brought levels back up.

It's 3AM here so I'll leave you to do your own Googling...but if you can find one that works this way it might do what you want!

Bob

I sort of agree.

Most people do it this way as it's easier, foolproof and you can pull down to a different level as and when you need to.

Most compressors have a side chain facility, some will allow you to create this feature on them. It's not ideal, but then again none of the specific devices I've ever seen have been ideal either.

Spend a little time perfecting your hand to mouth movements, you'll never want one again.

Most compressors have a side chain facility, some will allow you to create this feature on them. It's not ideal, but then again none of the specific devices I've ever seen have been ideal either.

Now theres a thought Rob!

I have a focusrite penta doing nowt, I might just have a play.

The reason I was toying with the Idea is that I only have 2 hands, and holding a mic, adjusting a fader and putting on other tracks

on my lappy all at once is difficult to do! :)

I also like Bobbsys idea.

Maybe I could use an expression or volume pedal?

Even just to lower the music whislt I talk my jibber jabber. :** laughs out loud **:

The reason I was toying with the Idea is that I only have 2 hands, and holding a mic, adjusting a fader and putting on other tracks

How about not holding the mic?

Mic stand?

Headset?

? :** laughs out loud **:

Not all mixers with auto ducking were bad. Cloud used to make a small range where it was excellent. And its still used as standard on broadcast radio desks.

I had one available when I DJed and I used it routinely, set up properly they work fine, its the bad ones that can't be adjusted that cause annoyance and which no doubt are what Peter has been unfortunate to encounter.

In electronics they're often known as a VOGAD (voice operated gain attenuating device???) and Plessey used to make units for building into OEM equipment.

Nowadays you can buy the Rolls Autoducker which takes your mic and goes inline with the music (best used on an insert) and gives you all the control you need if you're away from the desk when you're talking.

Rolls Autoducker

They Retail at just a smidgeon under 100 quid.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/largeimages/217365.jpg

Thanks Kev.

I had seen the rolls ducker after a quick google, but no price.

Quite a bit of cash IMO for a small unit?

I will have a play with my comp and see if I can get it to work.

There is a line in/out, (trs jacks) and also a mic in on the front of the unit, as well as side chain.

Any ideas on set up please?

Pics below.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d174/977stinkytinky/Penta-rear-large-1.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d174/977stinkytinky/Penta-front-large-1.jpg

Archived