Outdoor Event - Lighting?

FaithlessRock

Hi,

Sorry if this has been discussed before, have searched the forums but can't find anything!

I am enquiring if there is any specific regulation as part of BS7909, or other, regarding the use of lighting fixtures, etc. at outdoor events.

Is it adequate, by law, to be using lighting units which are protected from the weather by transparent plastic enclosures - similar to the domes made by Robe, etc but which have been hand-made?

I am hoping so, as I have seen a local outdoor theatre protecting moving heads with home-made enclosures, but I want to make sure I'm not making a boo-boo!

Thanks in advance!

The IP rating of the fixtures will determine the degree of exposure to the weather that they can cope with. Not usually very much, so you have to provide protection as you've already worked out for yourself.

How you provide that protection, and the suitability of your method is down to your risk assessment.

A weatherproof enclosure from the manufacturer of the fixture can reasonably be expected to provide suitable protection. If it fails to do so, then your insurance shouldn't make too much fuss and you may have some grounds for a claim against the supplier.

If you're confident that your home made cover is not going to leak / collapse / blow away / catch fire / do anything else that could cause injury, then it will probably be ok but you're liable if anything goes wrong.

The IP rating of the fixtures will determine the degree of exposure to the weather that they can cope with. Not usually very much, so you have to provide protection as you've already worked out for yourself.

How you provide that protection, and the suitability of your method is down to your risk assessment.

A weatherproof enclosure from the manufacturer of the fixture can reasonably be expected to provide suitable protection. If it fails to do so, then your insurance shouldn't make too much fuss and you may have some grounds for a claim against the supplier.

If you're confident that your home made cover is not going to leak / collapse / blow away / catch fire / do anything else that could cause injury, then it will probably be ok but you're liable if anything goes wrong.

Thanks for that Adam, that makes perfect sense to me!

Mark

Thanks for that Adam, that makes perfect sense to me!

Mark

Note the "catch fire bit" though.

Archived