Projector on moving fly bar

Paul_R

Is a projector lamp or indeed the projector likely to suffer if used on a moving fly bar whilst turned on?

It is an <LCD> NEC MT1075 if it matters, and the flybar is an automated system..

Personally I think that the jolts to the lit lamp could be detrimental to its lifespan??

Thanks,

Paul

Though im not ENTIRELY sure it exists, and this is only a design concept I've had a while back it may be useful.

Think how studio microphones are shock mounted, using bungee esque cord and a mounting, is it not possible to acquire / manufacture something that could be screwed in place of the feet and then attatched to the normal mounting plate? Thus when the move is halted, it absorbs more of the shock?

Your alignment will never be dead-on if you have a spring mounted projector. Think of the wobble as it stops...

It's not going to be great for the lamp, but it depends how fast you want to fly it in and out. If the flys are automated, can you slow them before the dead? This is a case were a human might do a better job than a motor...

If the flys are automated, then you should be able to specify slow decelerations, and equally apply an S-ramp or similar to the accel and decel phases, to control the jerk (derivative of accel) .... which I would suggest wouldn't lead to much if any jolting to the lamp.

However if by automated you are talking a chain hoist, then your lamp is likely to take a battering!

yes , ive had to do that at Sadlers Wells theatre - and their system is controlled by Nomad and you can have the bars slow right down towards end of travel and stop smoothly causing no jolt at all.

I suspect this is the case with any other automation control but Nomad crossed my mind as its what they have at the venue.

We also did it at a "national theatre" type conference venue in Monaco as well except the system kept crashing and nothing was moving anywhere!! That was a very tirsome day........

We also did it at a "national theatre" type conference venue in Monaco as well except the system kept crashing and nothing was moving anywhere!! That was a very tirsome day........

That'll be the Grimaldi. My colleague was there when it was new and had 8 x G8s and screens flying in with no problems. From what I gather it is becoming far less reliable nowadays and your post supports that view.

Duncan, certainly Barco projectors and probably others, have rubber mounts within the frame suspending the projector.

No they don't. And that's a fact, I can prove through owning several of the things.

Our preference is that machines aren't moved once the lamps are struck. However if they were to be flown on an automated system where the acceleration and deceleration could be controlled to prevent sudden jolts, then I'd probably be ok with it. My concern arises from the high temperature and pressure of the lamps, and that if jolted, it could cause the envelope to fail.

Thanks for the help so far..

Yes, its an automated flybar system not chain motors, although I do not know the capabilities of the control system.

The venue in question is The Royal Spa Centre in Leamington Spa, Warwickshire.

My gut feeling seems to right, but I will find out about the acceleration and deceleration options..

Thanks,

Paul

Archived