A two leg lanyard c/w 2x scaff hooks

RoyS

Hi guys,

I obviously take on board safety vs cost and my safety and the safety of others is paramount and won't be compromised.

My only technical issues with the Petzl Double Absorbica lanyard is the minimum clearance height of 4.35 meters.

I can sometimes be working on truss that is below this height.

(I note 'Length of each arm: 80 cm. Length : 104 cm, Length after tearing: 174 cm)

Black is a personal preference for all my gear.

Cheers.

Roy

I would second what Jonathan has said, and I also have the Petzl Absorbica Y MGO (As do most of my colleagues/freelance staff).

The newer one (to what I have) is slightly more "Stealth" with black lanyard material (as opposed to the older stlye Blue/Yellow Stripe), also the newer version is better for inspection of the energy absorbing part with a zip compartment (as opposed to the lycra type cover).

As others have said can you put a price on safety at height? I think that the link above is about £100 ish (or was 4 odd years ago when I bought mine).

Cheers

Dan

my safety and the safety of others is paramount and won't be compromised

If so, you maybe want to look seriously at what you are attaching yourself to with a fall arrest lanyard.

Trusses have been mentioned, trim heights also - very heartening to see that some have read the information that came with the lanyard

and know they need >4.35m clearance.

Have they also read the information that came with the truss?

Check the force of the arrested fall on an anchor point. Now check that figure against the CPL quoted by the manufacturer of the truss.

I use a RidgeGear harness and twin-leg scaffold lanyard when I am working with scaffold. The prices are reasonable and they are UK made.

Colour may be a problem though as the standard one is Yellow and my older model is bright purple.

The Ridgegear website is here : RidgeGear

Andy :unsure:

my safety and the safety of others is paramount and won't be compromised

If so, you maybe want to look seriously at what you are attaching yourself to with a fall arrest lanyard.

Trusses have been mentioned, trim heights also - very heartening to see that some have read the information that came with the lanyard

and know they need >4.35m clearance.

Have they also read the information that came with the truss?

Check the force of the arrested fall on an anchor point. Now check that figure against the CPL quoted by the manufacturer of the truss.

It still scares me how few people implement rescue procedures when they rely on fall-arrest lanyards.

All well and good to have the right harness, lanyard, attachment points etc., but who and how will rescue you when you are dangling 5 meters up in the air?

Suspension trauma is a serious risk that must be taken into consideration when people rely on fall arrest PPE.

NO!

It's that thinking which is wrong and WILL end up in death.If you don't know the manufacturer/type of truss so you can work out it's weight loading then you should NOT under any circumstances go up there.

If you don't have a self rescue plan then you should NOT go up there. Falling of the truss can kill not only yourself but others aswell, either by the truss failing or the truss being used in the future and failing due to the weaknesses that you have done to it.

Absolutely any one can climb a truss. It's not hard. It takes thought and skill to be able to work out what truss it is, work out whether you can climb it allowing for a fall (including the shock force of your fall) and being rescued should you fall.

I personally think that too many people are allowed up trusses without any thought as to what would happen should they fall. I quite often speak to "riggers" (In smaller venues) Who either have no planning for a fall or give exactly the wrong response as to what they should do should they fall.

and breathe...............

AndyJones

My point was about the truss.

My apologies Chris, I should have started my post with "It also still scares me".

I meant to expand on your very valid point.

I personally think that too many people are allowed up trusses without any thought as to what would happen should they fall.

Couldn't agree more.

But how do you educate people about what is at stake?

Maybe time for a fresh thread.....

• 4 weeks later...

Chris, Andy, Roderick, all very good points.

I could not agree more.

The HSE have published some reports regarding falls from height, circulating these may help raise awareness

about the dangers involved.

In the spirit of Rodericks last post, here is a HSE report, into a fall from height. The casualty had not worn his harness correctly.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/8981332/Loose-Fitting-Harness

Knowing how to use the equipment safely and correctly is paramount, and too many attempt things they don't know how to do.

(Warning, its not a pretty sight!)

Archived