Blood Razors

S.M

We have contacted out local prop hire company 'Howarth Wrightson' (Sp?) but we have been told that the razors are no longer avaialble to hire, with a mention that we may find it difficult to hire a cut throat razor, gimmicked or not due to changes in the law, (I assume this is the amendment to the Dangerous weapons act)

The Law mentioned is most likely to be the Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006 which make it an offence to have knives, razors, axes etc in a public place, which a theatre is.

The Act has a defence in Law if the knife etc is being used for bonafide theatrical, TV, film etc.

If Howorth Wrightson Ltd cannot supply the item or offer specific guidance on the matter then there should be some concern, HWltd are an long time established supplier of weapons into the theatre industry and are well clued up on such matters.

I would recommend a chat with your local constabulary for advice on this matter.

Max sentence upon conviction for having such an item in a public place is four years.

Thanks Wuddy, With all of the guns, swords, rifles etc. that Howorth's have for hire (although I do know the precautions he takes when hiring), I was just taken aback a little on how hard this is going to be, after all the razors are kind of integral to the plot, in fact they ARE the plot.

What would the implications be if I made my own razors? They would be oversize and I would probably make them fixed open to make it easier for the blood tubing, the blade would most probably be 3mm Aluminium flatbar cut to shape. Could this still attract the attentions of the law as it is a definate prop, rather than a modified real razor.

I have a contact at Mountview at the moment so I'll be making enquiries...

Hi Neil,

As regards making your own razors. The Violent Crime Reduction Act also covers replica/imitation firearms and considers even two pieces of wood nailed together to resemble a gun as an imitation firearm, so your home made prop. razors might be considered a weapon within the context of the Law.

Also, a prop. razor which appears oversize viewed from five feet on stage will look a lot more realistic from the auditorium, as it should.

As said previously I would arrange to have a chat with someone at the local 'nick' which covers the venue, the Police will have been issued with national guidlines on how to proceed with such events but from experience I know that local forces can put their own interpritation onto those guide lines so best to speak to those who will directly implement the Law should the need arise.

Thanks again Wuddy, I have tracked down the theatre company that commissioned the pair that I found on the musicals forum earlier this week. They have agreed to hire them out to us.

Regarding the Law, I (or rather the Production Manager) will be making a visit to the local plod anyway as we are using a revolver in one of the scenes as well. (it's not fired, it just gets brandished on stage)

As a side note, I have since found that Mountview have made their own razors using 'flick-knife' type combs, replacing the comb with a piece of thin aluminium sheet.

• 1 month later...
Ours were made from a piece of very blunt (pretty much round edged 1cm thick) metal with a wooden handle that concealed a syringe, when the "blade" was passed over the skin the syringe was depressed by the little finger to squirt out the blood. Worked well.

Archived