turbosound speakers

pilgrim

can anyone explaine what a pad does - is part of the desk - or a unit you can buy - if so whats the best

a pad is just a resistor network that sits in front of the preamp, and reduces the signal to a more manageable level. for example, a kick or snare signal on a drum kit can be quite hot, so putting a pad in will bring the level down so that a) the preamp won't clip, and b) the gain knob (hopefully) has more room to move below, ie its no longer at the lower extremity.

if there aren't pads on your desk, you can buy inline pads such as this one, which reduces the level by 10dB.

It's odd, because for the bargain basement gigs I end up at often, the spirit live 4/2 is a desk I've used a lot, and like in this application. However, its bigger brother has been thrust on me in situations where I wouldn't have expected a desk from Soundcraft's economy range. I guess you really need to ask the guys who would be using it first off whether they'd be happy. In terms of actual things, I'm just not a fan of the EQ section and the preamps in the old ones I've used. They also have that trademark plasticky feel that is common across the spirit range, which doesn't exactly inspire confidence. I would definitely consider a different desk, as the A&H GL2800 is a more accepted desk, and I remember them being much cheaper than the Soundcrafts for the same quality.

A pad is a series of resistors, designed to lower the level of a signal so that the preamp doesn't clip when at it's lowest setting. Most desks at this level have them included on each channel, however soundcraft have notably omitted them from this design on the GB8, and so you can carry some which are contained within an XLR barrel to plug into the multi before you plug the tails into the desk.

M

Hi all,

Why dont you try looking at the RCF TT kit its great value and is certainly making a name for its self, I work for a big EAW & Martin user and he is starting to change his kit over to the TT.

We are putting this out on gigs that are listed with Martin, EAW, Nexo and the likes but the engineers are more than happy to try the TT and are very happy at the end of the gig.

Its worth a look.

That's great news. I've STILL not heard the TT stuff but it seems to constantly get good reviews.

However, when a gig has a rider saying Martin, EAW, Nexo, I'd turn up with the above. It tends to be how it works. Sure you can call and say, will this be ok, but what if they say no? I think it's currently a big risk getting rid of such large names in favour of a system that may well sound as good, but doesn't have it's name on riders just yet. Hope all goes well for them though.

That's great news. I've STILL not heard the TT stuff but it seems to constantly get good reviews.

However, when a gig has a rider saying Martin, EAW, Nexo, I'd turn up with the above. It tends to be how it works. Sure you can call and say, will this be ok, but what if they say no? I think it's currently a big risk getting rid of such large names in favour of a system that may well sound as good, but doesn't have it's name on riders just yet. Hope all goes well for them though.

I agree, it's a lot about badge nowdays, which when you are in a rush and need to know that the job will get done is useful; but many people are wary of trying new things!

Hi Rob,

It is but at the end of the day the EAW we use virtually all has RCF in it and the Martin we have has some RCF as well so they are already using it.

We do not do current large bands but we are doing quite a bit on the has been scene and in fairness to a rider its specs a system but most are happy to use something of that standard and even though it is not on riders alot of engineers have heard of the TT, and are quite happy to use it.

The only TT product I've used so far was the 12" powered monitor.

Amititally I did have it side by side with the Turbosound 420, Martin LE1200, and DnB M3.

I know its in a completly different price range to the others, but it still most definatly sounds like it is well into the lower price range! Both in sound and build quality compared to the higher end product.

mostlyharmless would agree on the build quality side its not cheaply built but it would not take some of the abuse that some bands give wedges on stage, like standing on it and also putting your foot on the grills. Sound wise though its not far off the others at all, we have tried it against the LE1200 and thought sound wise their wasn't much in it, the turbo well I think they have lost their way a bit but thats my view, D&B well thats on everyone's wish list.

We have had nothing but praise for the wedges we have and they are very easy to work with, the level you get out them and it still retains a very natural balanced sound, plus you can get a mic right over it and still push it hard before you start to get any feedback. Its worth trying to use them on a gig I think you would be surprised.

I know its off topic, but I thought I'd fill out my comments on the TT wedge;

TT 12": Very harsh sounding compression driver, sounded like it had a much lower x-over point than the other wedges demo-ed. Would not take abuse from a band member standing on it.

Turbo 420: An older design, but still a much better sounding wedge than a lot of the other stuff on the market - without a load of EQ points added in DSP! The biggest let down was the inability to switch to a passive x-over mode.

Martin LE1200: Sounded like a FOH cab, not a bad thing, just unexpected. A lot of digital EQ points added (I think I counted 7!), I would modify these points if I brought the cabs. Very nice looking box!

DnB, I think it was an M3 if thats a 12" co-axial wedge: A pretty standard driver used by loads of people, in an average sounding wedge linking you to some massivly expensive custom amps.

I'm not sure I'd want to invest in a big analogue desk at this moment in time - in fact there are really good deals to be had on pretty new A&H and Soundcraft large format desks that the hire companies are trying to get shot of before they crash in value.

Archived