heavy smoker

la grande homme

can anyone suggest a decent heavy smoke / fog that will roll and roil but stay sort of near its machine (in the outdoors!)... It will be upstage in a shielded cavity (about the size of a wardrobe) the front of which is slid off as a cloth in front of the front is raised and I want it to seep out towards the audience but to still be quite thick and solid (filling that space (6 feet high) - I can continue to punp smoke out but I don't want it all to blow away!

Otherwise 'God' will be revealed as a small wooden wardrobe and even Zeus never tried that particular disguise... (not a hit with the girls apparently, they would only want to put shoes in him... :huh: )

Your thoughts please.

Paddy

Does anyone enter/exit this cavity?

I may be misunderstanding your effect here but if no- one needs to exit the wardrobe why not put some sort of transparent sheet in it to contain the smoke? "Seepage" could be achieved with some holes at the bottom perhaps.

Guest lightnix

Outdoors + smoke = don't mix.

Maybe you could try piping dry ice in from the top of the wardrobe, so that it falls "down and out", as it were; although a warm day will kill the effect pretty quickly.

You might have a little more luck with "conventional" smoke, produced by heating oil. You can chill this to make it heavy and low lying, by forcing it through a bucket of dry ice first. I recall there being a professionally made bucket for this very purpose, although I can't remember where you get one.

Lewis's idea with a transparent sheet and holes sounds like a goer, but you'll still be at the mercy of the weather to some extent.

Archived