Water screen

Kopy

Hi all,

I'm just quoting on a job in which I'll be projecting on to a water screen. Having never done this before I thought I'd write and ask if anybody has any experience of these.

My main concern is the brightness of the image. I get the feeling I'm going to need a much brighter projector than I would normally need - am I correct in that assumption?

Any other tips?

I have done a few water screen shows in the past including a sixty foot water screen installation in Xian China. Can you divulge a little more information about the show. Specifically, size of the screen, ambient light in the proposed venue, other light sources and most importantly what sort of content you will be using. Aside from the brightness of the projector the content shown on a water screen is one of the most important aspects to consider. Content shot or edited in post with a black background is far more effective as (1) it allows the projecter to focus what light it has on the things that you want the viewer to see with out wasting rescourses. (2) creats a greater illusion and realy brings out the magic of a water screen.

I agree with the comments about content, the right material makes this effect.

High contrast images work well, for example; talking heads shot on a black background really stand out and have that nice 3d effect.

It's worth noting that the viewing angle is not as good as a normal screen, especially if you back-project.

Archived