Painting Trussing

Ike

I have just finished installing some new trussing and cant help but notice how shiny it is, as the trilite in question is front of house and can't be masked it needs painting black.

If anyone has any advice on how to paint it or what to paint it with I would be very grateful.

Ike

Ps I love the edit button!

I won't point out that you can get black truss as that would be unhelpful! Also suggesting sending it somewhere to get black-anodised would probably be too costly. Before painting truss, I'd check with the manufacturer as to what they say about it in structural and guarantee terms, also I'm not sure how paint would interfere with visual inspection of the truss (e.g. covering cracks in the welding).

So, having had to paint our FOH lighting bars, a few pointers: you'll need an aluminium primer. However a lot of these etch into the aluminium so I'd check with the manufacturer that this won't be a problem - but without a primer the paint won't stick well. After that, you're fairly free as to what you paint it with. Last time I believe we used Hammerite matt black paint which is quite durable. However you will have to resign yourself to touching it up every year or so if you want to keep it looking tip-top.

Guest lightnix
Good points from rob there, especially regarding visual inspection. Alternatively you could have a narrow piece of black drape made up to mask it off with. Possibly safer and tidier looking in the long term - the truss will "disappear" altogether that way.

Archived