MIDI to DMX lighting controller

Adam_Dawson

Hi,

I am a guitarist with a MIDI control board for my rack equipment and I'm looking for a rack unit which will convert MIDI into pre-programnmed DMX scenes to send out to some intelligent lighting fixtures. So, when I go into a solo etc. the same button to change my rack amp will also kick in a programmed moving head. Or when I press another button I can black out my DMX parcans.

Is there such a product out there?

Thanks for your help!

Adam

I'm sure there are several topics on this subject already on the BR. Have a look on the search (top right of this page), and I'm fairly sure that you'll get some helpful results.

If that fails, have a look at the MagicQ software from www.chamsys.co.uk, it can be used to have scenes triggered from MIDI messages using their MIDI interface.

What hardware do you already have? Do you have a DMX adapter / small desk?

MIDI is not used a a 'tigger' like audio; on the boards it corresponds certain signals and octaves with the buttons on the board.

some boards have the option for a remote foot switch.. that maybe a better option (and alot cheaper too)

It would probably be alot easier to setup with a software based controller

or get one of those small 1U DMX consoles that just have scene buttons you have to program with another controller and just put that in the rack after programed

one of those small 1U DMX consoles that just have scene buttons you have to program with another controller

The most common example of these is the Pulsar Masterpiece Replay unit - allows MIDI selection of up to 48 'environment' playbacks and 6 'environment chases', including those with sound-to-light capabilities and audio triggering - but must be loaded from a memory card programmed on a separate Masterpiece desk. With Masterpiece 108 desks (which, of course, can also be controlled remotely via Midi) routinely changing hands on Ebay - just search Consumer Electronics for Pulsar - for a couple of hundred pounds, one of those could be a good purchase - look for one of the more recent ones with 'coffin' shaped pads, not the older rectangular ones; if you don't get the results you want, you can always sell it again - and if you do like the desk, then you could look out for a Replay unit later. See the Blue Room Wiki for more info on Pulsar desks.

Archived