WYSIWYG Crash

Jimbo The Wiz

Our university has WYSIWYG v4 and I have tried using the v6 demo on my home computer and in both cases they crash all the time. has anyone else had this problem! both computers have ATI cards, maybe this is the problem. Do anyone else knowhow to fix this problem and if any other graphics cards are more suitable.

Cheers :(

Our university has WYSIWYG v4 and I have tried using the v6 demo on my home computer and in both cases they crash all the time. has anyone else had this problem! both computers have ATI cards, maybe this is the problem. Do anyone else knowhow to fix this problem and if any other graphics cards are more suitable.

Cheers :(

Get WYG release 8 (current version) and up-to-date drivers for your ATI card - might solve your problems.

Ive tried the new Ati Drivers and we updated to version 7 at uni but it got even worse then. Cheers though.

Any more thoughs?

P.s: Forgot to mention it always crashs when you try to use complex gobo's or shaded beams and at uni nearly all the time when you go into live mode.

My computer at home has:

Intel Pentium 4 2.26Ghz

512 DDR ram

Ati Radeon 9700

40+ Gb Hard Drive

Windows XP Home Edition

I have also tried it on the computer at my parents home and it run quite a bit smoother but the computer is a lot less advanced:

Atholon 1.4Ghz

512 SDR ram

Nvidia Gforce 2 Mx (Not sure if thats its actual name but it is a Gforce 2)

Not sure about Hard Drive

Windows XP Professional

Hope that helps

From what you said on the ps: that it only seems to crash when you do gobos or shaded views, it sounded as though it was demanding too much from your machine, although your system spec seems quite capable of running without these issues... There arent any memory demanding applications running while your using wyg is there?

I don’t think so. I have tried turning off all background applications and only running it on its own. Also when I say it only crashes in those circumstances I was wrong. it will defiantly crash then but also crash on an views at random. It’s seriously starting to bug me. Also I found that if it crashes sometimes the library looses some fixtures (have absolutely no clue why this happens)

Does anyone else use this with Ati cards (especially the Radeon 9800 pro) and have problems. if not how is yours set up.

Cheers for all your help so far. Keep it coming. :(

Farom what I can tell from your description, it would seem the ATI cards are the cause of the problem (you said it ran fine on a Geforce 2 MX but was slow due to the lower spec of the computer).

Only ways I can see to solve this are to run more tests on other cards (I tried the wyg 8 demo on my geforce 4 and it was fine). If it seems your card is the problem, get the very latest drivers from ATI themselves, not from the windows update or anything...

JoHn -- Venture

PLEASE NOTE THERE HAVE BEEN KNOWN ISSUES WITH ATI GRAPHICS CARDS AND WYSIWYG... UNFORTUNATELY THERE ISN'T ALOT I CAN DO UNTIL I GET INTO WORK TOMORROW MORNING I WILL HAVE A CLOSER LOOK THEN.

FIRSTLY CAN YOU ANSWER ME A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS.

1) ARE YOU USING A MULTIPLE MONITOR SETUP.

2) CAN YOU GIVE ME THE ERROR MESSAGE WHEN WYG CRASHES.

3)HAVE YOU TRIED A REINSTALLTION (NOT FROM THE POINT OF VIEW IT MIGHT FIX IT I JUST NEED TO KNOW)

REGARDS

ANDY.

As regards to the questions just asked:

1) Neither at uni nor on my home computer do we use dual monitors

2) I can’t get to the computers as I am at my parents so I will get back to you on the error message. All I can say is that it crashes in all types CAD, DESIGN and LIVE but mostly in DESIGN and live and especially when you put the more advanced features on.

3) All I can say for this point is that I know they updated it at uni and had to down grade to a lower level but I don’t know if they did a complete re-installation. As for mine at home I have tried re-installing it a few time but it’s never any different.

As I said in the above posts I was thinking about a new graphics card anyway because I don’t like the radeon card much and I can put it in my parent computer so which card do you use Merlin 24 and are there any others that you might recommend? Nvidia any good?

Anyway Cheers for the help again.

Can you try the following for me please.

Open the program.

Click on options on the tool bar.

Click on the Application Options Tab

Click on Direct 3D

Make sure acceleration is set to HARDWARE

Click on the Open GL tab at the top.

Set Rendering to SAFE RENDERING

Got to the Render options TAB at the top

Threads should be set to 1

Mem size should be 8MB

Close the program.

Finally on your graphics card settings ensure that antialiasing and Open GL are set to application controlled.

Now restart your machine and try the program and see if it still crashes. I'm not saying it won't but it will point me in the right direction.

As far as your question about graphics cards go I have always used NVIDIA and never had any problems. Currently using a Ti 4800, probably upgrading to a FX 5600.

Kind Regards

Andy.

Archived