Anyone used a EM9900 from Thomann?

PoppaDom

I have one...and it worked very well in Menorca picking up some Parrots across a swimming pool, but the quality wasn't important. It seemed to struggle to pick up backing singers from the front of the stage, but the main PA was very close to the singers. I use it each year to pick up scouts on stage, but since this only goes into an induction loop, quality isn't a major issue.

I have not really used anything else to compare it with, which means this post isn't much help really, sorry!

It is quite robust though, has a low cut button, comes in a cardboard storage box and a foam windshield (which did work well in Menorca)

No experience of the Thomann mic, but what's your intended application? There are good shotguns out there with price tags somewhere between the Thomann and the Sennheisers. Which I'd suggest would depend a bit on what you want it for.

Bob

We have a couple of these that we obtained in lieu of a bad debt. As with a great many things it's a case of getting what you pay for - they don't have the range, off-axis rejection or definition of more expensive mics but they undoubtedly do the job and don't do it too badly at all. We used them a while ago on a low budget reinforcement job in a church to take spoken word and music out to a marquee and they were fine.

How about looking at the AKG SE300B with CK98 capsule? We have a batch of them and they get used a lot for theatrical work and location recording jobs. I seem to recall they're around £300 plus VAT new but they do seem to crop up second hand on eBay from time to time for about £100 - £150 each depending on condition (and obviously watching out for fakes).

I also saw some nice looking 'broadcast quality' Rode mics on the Thomann site recently - not much more than £100 I think. I haven't tried them but I have fond memories of their studio mics from days of yore and they might be worth a look.

If you happen to be in Oxfordshire at any point before you have to buy something you're welcome to pop in and A/B some options including the Thomann, AKG and Sennheiser offerings.

Archived