Student Insurance/Training

tom_the_LD

Hi guys,

I'm 16 currently and in Year 12 (lower sixth). Up until recently I've been allowed up the tower/ladder to do LX stuff as long as there was a member of staff there. However, recently someone has just decided to implement that I'm not allowed up there and only staff are, even though I'm sure in the school book it says it's ok as long as there is a member of staff there.

So, is this an insurance/training issue? Is there some training I could do or insurance to take out so that I am completely qualified to do it and can then prove that I'm perfectly safe, and allowed, to be doing it? Or do you have to be over 18 to do such courses?

Thanks a lot!

Tom

Tom

This issue has been covered before and it comes down to its the schools responsibility and their decision, it will have been made for a reason and we cannot tell you what that is the thing to do might be to talk to someone in the school who's in charge and see what they say.

Ben

Hi Tom, I did some investigation into this last year on behalf of our students and I'm afraid you will not like the result.

Can members of our 6th form (i.e. over 16 year old) go up either the scaffolding tower or ladders when supervised by a member of staff for the purpose of adjusting stage lighting and curtains?

If the current answer is no, is there an 'easy' solution (e.g. letter signed by parents/guardian and relevant training) to enable the few students that I deem competent both mentally and physically to be able to do this. You can only teach theory with them on the ground, the real skills that need to be learnt for anyone wanting to go into this sort of thing can only be done actually up there focusing the lights themselves.

There were a few messages exchanged as this issue got passed up the ladder via occupational safety advisers and HSE representatives but this was the final reply.

As you will be aware, the Working at Height Regs came in as a response to the activity being a main cause of fatalities in the workplace. The first thing in the hierarchy of controls of this was 'do we have to WAH' ?? - can we do task another way etc and the HSE would want some pretty good reasons why we couldn't.

The HSE have issued model assessments for schools Working at Height issues which include drama lighting among many others. They recommend that pupils should not undertake this task. The first thing to attempt is to see if it can be done another way eg can the lighting bar be lowered. It is not clear if the lighting bar/rig at Beckfoot is lowerable (they are not). Systems that require regular adjustment/alteration should be so as to avoid WAH.

Who ever was doing it, ladders would not be suitable access equipment as the required 3 points of contact most likely could not be maintained if having to slacken, adjust and re-tighten lights. I assume all the lights are also on safety chains.

The Alhambra Theatre do not allow the many work placement students they get to WAH. Their stage lighting is initially adjusted at waist height before raising the bars, with final adjustment at height by trained staff with appropriate equipment, training etc (as the HSE RA suggests).

The easy solution suggested by Russ does not wash as we cannot contract out of our legal responsibility re-tighten in such a way, we have to provide a safe system of work and cannot allow people to opt out, particularly pupils where we have a greater duty of care. We have a duty of care and responsibilities under HASAWA '74 come whatever and also Civil liability issues.

If you can convince your school to go against a recommendation direct from the HSE then good for you. Just remember that the more investigation you get your senior staff to do into this matter the more likely you are to get the answer no. Although schools can right their own RA for WAH, this is the national guideline.

Best thing to do, which is what I did when I was in college was to put myself on a training course. In actualy fact the theatre I worked at at that time put me on one and I just took a photocopy of my Working At Heights Certificate to the school's finance officer (who happened to be in charge of insurance policies too) and they were then happy to allow me up ladders. I alos then went a step further and took out my own PLI insurance which further satisfied my school. I am not sure however whether you can apply for PLI under 18? Anyway, just ask your local council when their next working at heights training day is and get yourself on it. Even if your school for some reason will not accept it due to lack of PLI or something, at least you will have that training under your belt.

Greg

Archived