What is a delay line?

tolley1466

Just Some Bloke, by not "quoting" your post I hoped to make my comment less personal than you may have chosen to take it.

No. No personal slight taken! I was only defending my own contribution which I stand by. :biggrin:

Tape delay devices were widely used and respectable in audio quality (not "rubbish")

My point entirely. Spring reverbs were rubbish and tape delays weren't - that's why we used them all the time!

God I've been wanting a nice Tape Delay or Spring reverb for ages! Not sure where all this hostility has come from - digital delays are boooooring (IMO).

Tape delay yes, spring reverb noooooooooo! Quality pisspoor and you had to be so careful not to move anywhere near them as you were mixing because if you moved a spring by breathing too loudly near the box then it would bounce around making the most awful noise in the middle of nowhere! Yuk!

• 3 weeks later...
Ah true I knows this from experience with guitarists not understanding gain structuring on their spring-loaded amplifiers (Master volume at full, reverb volume at full, input volume as low as it can go etc...) but spring reverbs make a great dubby sound. I'm into my dub in quite a big way and nothing beats the sound of a nasty old spring...

One thing a spring 'verb is GOOD for, doing thunder storms!

Turn it over, and tap the springs directly,with just a little EQ, it is great for playing a thunderstorm live (Some directors have 'odd' ideas, I have a whole CD of thunder just ready to go, but apparently that would not do it)!

Regards, Dan.

One thing a spring 'verb is GOOD for, doing thunder storms!

Way back in the dark ages I was in a band that did a cover of Rush's "The Temples of Syrinx" (I think having just googled for a track listing!), in which there is an enormous crashing rumbling noise separating two parts of the track.

Our live solution for this was a spring reverb unit which got booted across the stage by the bass player...

Oh yes, spring reverb units have uses, but providing a natural ambient is not one of them :)

Archived